Tube amps/active pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amps/active pickups

I recently got a Peavey XXX combo Christmas and have been enjoying it over the past week. I have played my Charvels through it and the sound great and the amp is relativly quiet. Last night I plugged in my ESP Urban Camo with EMG's and noticed alot of hiss and noise. I changed guitars to one with passive pickups and the noise went away? My question is, are all EMG loaded guitars noisy or is there a possible grounding issue in the guitar? I have noticed that ther is no wire soldered to the trem claw like on my Charvels.

EMG should be quiter. They don't need to be grounded o the claw because they 're internally grounded.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
      EMG should be quiter. They don't need to be grounded o the claw because they 're internally grounded.
      Correct. Sounds like something is up with the guitar elsewhere, like the output jack perhaps. I forget, but when the battery gets weak dotn the pickups start to hiss and hum as well?

Comment

+1, Get your guitar thoroughly set-up internally or do it yourself, then see what difference it makes; it should sounds awesome then!

Comment

Well, I've got a couple guitars with EMGs... they can introduce a little hiss, just like any passive pickup that's got a battery hooked up to active circuitry. And if you're too close to the amp, watch out for some squealing and feeback with those EMGs.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

In normal conditions - i.e. not facing the amp , even under extreme conditions maybe they're not DEAD quiet but definitely really quiet.

Could be as mentioned above - jack problem or something with the pots.

Grounding - no as those pickups are internally grounded.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
              I forget, but when the battery gets weak don't the pickups start to hiss and hum as well?
              I'd say start with the cheapest/easiest fix and go from there - a new battery makes my 81's sound much better...
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

That's my thought, the batteries don't last forever.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

flat batt
                  my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Working...
                  X