Amp Question/Volume Swells/Bass Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Question/Volume Swells/Bass Loss

Guys, I have a Carvin X100B and love it man, but just recently the volume has been swelling and bass is fading in and out. It gets worse as it is played longer and then almost stays at lower volumes and looses the bass. So, is it a tube problem or? Could it be a problem with my Boss MT-2 pedal? I should try it loud without the pedal and see what happens. Man, I hope it isn`t something serious as I love this amp Jack.

Try it without the pedal first, but it sounds like one of your tubes may be going bad.

Comment

Will do If it is a tube, which ones are usually the culprit(pre or power)? I looked in the back and they all looked normal, but I know that isn`t always the case Jack.

Comment

Sounds like power tube. Preamp tubes when going bad will give you weird noises, distortion on clean settings, squealing, etc.. any combination of those.
        Gil

Comment

Power tubes wear out many times faster than preamp tube. But it really could be anything - a resistor going out, filter caps (how old is this amp?).

Comment

Is there anything in the fx loop? If not, put a cable in there from the send to the return. See if that fixes it.

Pete

Comment

Nothing in the FX right now and all of the tubes are pretty new, maybe 2 months old. It is a 1988 Carvin X100B. If the tubes or fx isn`t the problem, I am going to have it checked over!! The seller may have screwed me, but I can`t confirm that as I don`t have any proof. Jack.

Comment

Read what I wrote above - if you don't have anything in the loop, put a cable in there from the send to the return. Do that before you start dicking around with anything else.

Pete

Comment

OK Pete. Should I just use a guitar cable? Also, the bass is tight and then also just flubs out, even at low volume along with the volume swells. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

yeah, use a guitar cable.

Comment

Jack, did you try it?

Comment

Hi Pete, I just tried it and it didn`t seam to change anything, but what did was letting the amp warm up before playing more than the minimum of 5 minutes. Still, I feel this amp should be louder than it is. It is one of the least loud 100 watt amp I have ever played through. Is this normal for a Carvin X100B ? It is as loud as about a 50 watt amp or maybe less. The tone is good, but just not really loud like most 100 watt amps. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X