Got some rack preamp, power amp, power conditioner and hush?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some rack preamp, power amp, power conditioner and hush?'s

Seeking out and investing in a "rack setup" and need some general to specfic insight. I'm preparing to do some gigging again in 2007, which I'm somewhat excited about. At 43 and all that I've seen and done its difficult to excite me, but this, is stiring deep within me. I Need to get the gear quest going and finished up sooner then later and sooner will be better.

For starters, I want to keep it a simple but versatile setup. 4 -5 rack units to start with but as time goes on and I need more than I'll cross that bridge. For now, just 4-5 pieces.
    Honestly I don't want to invest too much money in the rack system, just yet, but I do need to have all these goodies around the first of Feb. Thats the goal anyways.

I want to achieve versatility in a simple set.
    Music I will be doing will be some top 40 stuff , definitely late 70's and 80's metal and hair band stuff, some current metal stuff too. Also, the frequent light rock and country radio stuff too. You can see a somewhat wide range of musical genre.

Here's what I've been schemeing on ebay as well as musicans friend's site.
    New to very good fully working used condition alike is okay with me.
    Alittle road rash isn't a big to deal as long as it works like it should.
    This is where I'm gonna need your help

Looking at the following, so far:
    • Power Amp = Peavy classic 50/50... price is reasonable, used in very good working condition....ebay
    • Power Condition = Furman's PL Plus...reasonably priced...musician friend.
    • Preamp = Clueless, because way too many on ebay are just selling these things and have absolutely no knowledge about them and I don't either. Heck, I'm consider an old Ada MP1 preamp because its simple and most of the basic effects I'm looking for to do the late 70's and 80's rock, metal and hair band scene. Definitely not cheap on ebay but no ridiculuosly over priced either. Something I'm considering nonetheless. Also, looking at Art's SGX express effects unit. It too like Ada's MP1 isn't any longer supported, but available on occasion on ebay at reasonable price. It seems similar to the MP1 having the same basic effects as the MP1 that I'm looking for. I don't recall if it was a preamp unit, but I looked at one on ebay, a GMajor unit. Wow, very nice and does all the basic stuff I'm looking for but alot of other stuff too. A very cool unit, however on ebay it was ridicuosly over priced and being sold with a ART X-15 midi floor controller pedal.
    • Noise Reducer = Rocktron's Hush Super C...reasonable priced at musician friend site.
    • Midi Floor pedal Unit = Not sure about what floor unit or brand, BUT I want complete control over my sounds at my feet. Doesn't matter if its an older model unsupported, if gives me complete control of my sound using real time instant midi to do it, I'm in. I seen on ebay the x-15 midi floor controller and this seems to the most commonly used older midi floor controller unit. Apparently its highly recommended by many players even unsupported. I quess not alot people like myself know that, hmn imagine that...
    Thats it so far, and its all gonna be going in a gator roto rack, 8 spaces.
    The one thats got the useful long handle for easy travel and lifting.
    I'm still open to any suggestions and recommendation for any of the above.
    Your personal experience will prove helpful in suggesting various pieces.
    Thanks gang I appreciated your help and input.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

I use the MP-1 and it is great. There is a whole community online that can help support that piece of equipment and a lot of do-it-yourself modifications s well. I would go with the MP-1.

Do not forget a power conditioner. Especially if you'll be gigging out and running into all kinds of electrical situations, the conditioner will regulate the voltage and current and protect your rack gear. They come with and without lights. Spend the little extra and get the one with lights, especially if you're gigging out.

I use the Rocktron Xpression unit for all my effects. It also has the Hush built into it, so if you're looking for a unit that has chorus, reverb, delay, etc. I'd check that out as well.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

I have a Rocktron Chameleon preamp that I've had for years. It takles a little work to dial in the sounds you want but it's very versatile. You can get them at a decent price through E-bay these days. I control mine with a midi-buddy, but I'm also looking into the X-15 ART unit.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

IMO..the X-15 is huge.. if you play in limited stage spaces.. it will be cumbersome and comsuming. It gives alot of options, but I'd say the FCB1010 would be a better option in a two pedal controller.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
          but I'm also looking into the X-15 ART unit.
          I seen several X-11's and X-12's but the X-15's are to find and when you do one of two things happen. They either sale it together with another piece and don't won't to break up the sale like that, or, its got a pedal or two on it that doesn't work right or missing some needful cables. Good luck with you search though, I may go with a X-15 as well.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

are you sure you need a noise gate? you really shouldn't with a good preamp.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              are you sure you need a noise gate? you really shouldn't with a good preamp.
              This is the kind of helpful info I'm looking for.
              Thanks Tim, you helped me elininate a useless piece of gear to purchase.
              You just saved me money.
              Now, whats a good preamp?
              What I've already listed in my initial post or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                IMO..but I'd say the FCB1010 would be a better option in a two pedal controller.
                Another useful piece of info.
                I checked that piece out at musician friend and I liked the price. Very affordable and based on the reviews, seems to be a "one in all" midi floor controller thats compatible with music rack gear.
                "I like what I'm hearing but I could use some more cow bell..."

Comment

What about the Digitech 2101 or 2120, its a tube preamp with a noise gate
                  and it has alot of effects in it.

Comment

Depending on the types of effects you want, the style or sounds you want to cop, the era of preamp AND BUDGET can dictate what you get or have to add.

If you are going all rack and no floor effects, most choices available in all in one preamp units with decent effects are not all tube signal path. They have a combination of tube signal and digital effects..ones with decent effects that have a couple preamp 12ax7's for 'warmth' and tube gain:
                    Rocktron Voodu Valve
                    Digitech Valve Fx
                    Digitech 2110, 2120
                    ADA MP2
                    to name a few..
                    A few more well known units that have no or limited effects:
                    JMP-1
                    Mesa Triaxis
                    Rocktron Pirannah
                    Engl
                    ADA MP1
                    Peavey Rockmaster

Then you have all digital:
                    Oberheim GM
                    Boss GX700

Thats just to name a few of the ones I think of off the top of my head that may work for what you want to do.. the list is extensive.. there's some analog ones too.
                    The problem I've found is the clean in tube/digi units is more of a trick to balance with your gain sounds than in all digital units. The clean usually sounds 'ok' but not stellar.

One all tube unit that had a really nice clean that I once owned was a Trace Elliott TVT9.
                    Last edited by charvelguy; 12-31-2006, 09:59 PM.

Comment

If you search back, this has been covered pretty well.. I know I've had a few extensive posts on it in the past that may come up with a few angles that others or myself may have touched upon.

Comment

I've used an MP-1 and Digitech TSR-12 (FX only) combo for years, both gigging and at home, but if you're looking for an easy-to-manage, all-purpose, many-sounds-in-one unit, get an XTLive. Forget whether it sounds exactly like this or that, it's got enough sounds in it to get the job done for the type of stuff you'll be playing.

It's also got all the pedals you'll need. I believe they all come with the FX Junkie pack already installed, so you've got Chorus and stuff right there.

Racks are nice but after a while it becomes a pain to drag around, and God Forbid a patch cable should go bad!

Of course you'd still need a power amp, so you may still end up with a rack (though your cable options/needs will drastically reduce).

Or you can get a Fender RocPro1000 head, a 2x12 cabinet, and a simple programmable FX-only unit (the Line6 Modulation thing?). I mean, are you really going to need a 12-stage Phaser, Flanger, AND a Chorus?

In the end it's up to you, of course, but I'm just saying that the gear you're looking at (older rack units) are going to start showing their age real soon, and you don't need one to die on a gig. Yeah you can replace it pretty cheap, but not "right now", which is exactly when you'll need to replace it
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, good info in it.

Comment

I've been playing 80s 90s metal/hard rock and I use a Soldano SP77. At first I thought it didn't have enought gain, but I've grown to like it. Especially combined with a decent parametric eq. It's a good preamp for the mix of music you're talking about.
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

After a lot of trying different units out I've eneded up with the Peavey Classic 50/50, a Rocktron Xpression and a Marshall JMP-1 (was using an ADA MP-1 which I prefer over the JMP-1 but I was having a few issues with it). It's a very versatile set-up.
                              www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Working...
                              X