Marshall 800 losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 800 losing power

I have a Marshall 800 series 4104 combo which is losing power. I can use it for around 5 minutes before the volume drops to an almost inaudible level. When I go to turn it off, it has a sudden, millisecond power burst...I've changed the EL34's...anyone have any ideas?

It might be a bad solder connection. As soon as it warms up it loses the connection. Very common failure in Amplifiers, especially ones that get moved around a lot.

Matt

Comment

Sounds nuts, but if it has an fx loop put a cable in there. sometimes the switch gets dirty and will cause all sorts of problems.

Pete

Comment

how old are the pre amp tubes?
        my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

I had the same problem with my 800 once. An effects loop was added in the 80's and the solder joints were acting up. My tech removed the loop and wired it the way it was supposed be, now it is loud as hell as it should be! Caps go bad and other electronic parts as time rolls on, James Byrd says on his site that he changes the caps and tubes in his Marshalls frequently.Worst case may be the output transformer, a good tech who knows Marshalls should fix it up quick.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Pre-amp tubes are less than 6 months old.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
              Pre-amp tubes are less than 6 months old.
              ok rules that out mine did a similar thing ,that was the effects jack,i cant remember if it was send or return .
              my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by dinky kustom View Post
                ok rules that out mine did a similar thing ,that was the effects jack,i cant remember if it was send or return .

That doesn't rule out anything. I recently had a new 12AX7 die on me in a month. I would try swapping in a different PI tube and then go from there.

Comment

Yeah, tubes can die quickly, had them poof almost immediately, within hours, weeks or months...

Comment

Another vote on checking your effects loop. I got a steal on an 88 JCM 800 2205 because the volume would fade off to nothing. After cleaning the effects loop's jacks with some fine sandpaper and a few shots of contact cleaner, it worked perfectly and has for the last year.

Comment

There isn't an effects loop on this Marshall, just a direct out.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain dave View Post
                        Another vote on checking your effects loop. I got a steal on an 88 JCM 800 2205 because the volume would fade off to nothing. After cleaning the effects loop's jacks with some fine sandpaper and a few shots of contact cleaner, it worked perfectly and has for the last year.
                        You are right, but a 4104 doesn't have a loop.

Comment

Working...
                        X