Would 2 speakers in a 4x12 cab alter sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would 2 speakers in a 4x12 cab alter sound

Just a hypothetical question at this point, but I usually only plug my SLO into half of my Marshall 1960A, and may have a chance to buy an empty 2x12 cab for cheap. The Marshall would be a fair bit lighter with only two speakers, and then I could just throw two into an empty 2x12 if I buy it. I'm all about making things easier to transport these days, and want a 2x12 to just carry to jam sessions, etc. However, do you guys think a 4x12 with only two speakers would sound a lot different due to the extra space???? This may be a dumb question, but maybe not.

It most likely would sound different. You also have to consider the extra holes. Would you blank them off with wood, or just leave them open? It would sound very different depending on which way you did it. Also, you'd have to make sure you matched the impedance of your amp.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

To my ears it does. It screws with the low frequencies (especially) and not in a good way. The throw of the remaining speakers might not be sufficient, if you really play them loud, due to the now open cabinet; speakers act like dampers (or air brakes) and removing 50% of the dampening in a system, messes with it.

Buy two 2x12" cabs and be done with it. It'll be both smaller and lighter that a 4x12" with two units pulled.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound like something I want to do. I really only need a 2x12, but something about the 4x12 cab look..........I just can't part with it. What a pain to haul around , though.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
          Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound like something I want to do. I really only need a 2x12, but something about the 4x12 cab look..........I just can't part with it. What a pain to haul around , though.
          Thats ego Bro. a 2 12 cab will sound much better and tighter then a 4 12 witrh 2 12 in it. The extra volume of the cab will muddy your tone. If only a 2 12 you need then a 2 12 you get. If your ego can't handle it, then buy a 4 12 cab and be cool with it.

I think a 2 12 cab sounds awesome. But the forced and depth of a 4 12 is something else. I can get great tone out of both but in my un ego opnion I like a 4 12 cab tone as it's heavier and carries more wieght. I can get just about the same tone out of my 2 12 combo as it's a sealed back. It pumps out bass like a bass cab. I like that alot.

Good luck with your purchase or mods

Dan

Comment

Yeah, maybe a little ego of liking the 4x12 look, but in all honesty, my Marshall cab has been with me through it all for a decade. Many amps, guitars, gigs, etc. So there is a lot of sentimental value there too. And I have never played my Soldano through a quality 2x12 to compare, and I'm sure it would sound fine. Since I posted last, I have actually gone back to using the full cab (all speakers again) at 16 Ohms,,,,,and , to my ears, it does sound a bit fuller than just using half of the cab. And, am I imagining this, or does running an amp at 16ohms, even though I'm using 4 speakers, actually sound a bit quieter.............meaning.........I find I can crank my SLO a tiny bit more at 16 ohms and 4 speakers compared to 8 ohms and 2 speakers! Maybe it's just the effects of this head cold I have.....although I remember hearing that amps put out more power at "lower" ohms. Is this correct? In all honesty, I am very happy with my cab,,,,I just hate when I have to transport it. Not that it is even so heavy, but just so big and takes up so much room.

Comment

4 ohm is a heavier load for the amplifier compared to say 16 ohm. A heavier load will "suck" more power (amps) from the amplifier and result is: higher output (volume).

A really cheesy explanation would be to compare it to light bulbs, but opposite: you put in a 30 watt bulb in a lamp and you got light. You change it for a 60 watt and you got more light. The power in the house is your limit (the amp).

No? I give up!
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Years ago I had a pair of those ADA Split-Stack cabinets, just like you had taken a saw and chopped a 4 x 12 down the middle. Great for small gigs and sounded fine up against the Marshall 4 x 12s I used too.
                (BLOODY expensive though over here, waaaaay too much money!)
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                X