Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your top 3 amps and why??

I'll go first ,

Not in any order but lately I have been really liking the Bogner Urbershall. Russo's in Trenton got one and I find myself testing on that the most. After playing so many differnt amps over the years, this Bogner is really catching my ear. I like how smooth the gain channel is and I can get a pretty good clean out of it. I gotta really test the amp instead of testing stuff on the amp but I can see one in my future,

Fender Twin reverb and the newer Twin amp. The Twin reverb was my all time favorite amp as I played on one for years. Back in 1979 , my uncle introduced her to me and it was love at first strum. I plugged in my 1970 strat, in line with a MXr distortion Plus orignal and Heaven was upon us. I started playing in 1979 at the age of 9. I finally got one in 1982 and also played a Fender Bassman 10 4 10 bass amp for guitar as I liked it's heavier tone. I play metal then and now and I would love to have both amps again. The Twin amp I owned was a brand new model just last year and I loved the clean even more then the orignal twin reverb. It was a beautiful amp but the drive channel for me was 2 AC/DC sounding and that tone isn't for me at all. So basically I had a 2 channel amp with only ever using the clean channel. I got a Krank Distortus Maximus pedal and my love For Krank started there.

Traded in the Fender and got the Rev 1 combo after playing the Rev 1 and Krankenstien. The amount of heavy tone had me at the bassman 10 and the clean was also just like it. It took me awhile to figure out the fender type clean the Krank had but it's like plugging into a 80's bassman 10. heavy but clear.

To date these are my favorite amps. I have owned other but none of them hold a candle to any of these for my personal reasons. I will probably pick up the Ubershall and a 4 12 cabnet from them that matches it. I'm a firm believer that a matching cabent is the way to go. Unless you have a tone your after you feel you can create with mix matching cabnets and heads, then I feel you should use the factory cab that matches the head. When I was testing the Krank Krankenstien and Rev 1 heads, I noticed they sounded there best when using there matching cabnets. Maybe it's just me but hell.

Dan

To me it all starts with a Marshall based tone

In random order

1983 JCM 800 2230 w/6550

The amp just kills tone wise. I used 2203/04's while gigging a lot in the 80's and when you get a good one they have special tone. They can be a one trick pony but can be pretty versatile if you need them to be. Simple design, one channel pure balls out 80-90 metal tones.

VHT PitBull 50 CL wEQ+REV

This sumbitch is a tone machine. Tight, clear and defined. Nails VH Brown sound. Two channels but no clean channel. 50 atts of EL-34 or 6L6. Bets loop I heard, can do the blue shit, 80-90's metal and beyond. Single notes and solos are clear...not an amp for players with sloppy techique who hide behind gain. No pedal needed. I bought this for $ 900.00 trying to pacify my Bogner Ecstasy cravings.

Bogner Ecstasy 101B

Well the VHT was its own animal and didnt keep me from scoring a 101B This amp just kept haunting me an haungting me until I bit the bullet and got one. It has a distinctive tone, way more options needed, versitle, 3 channels and a very nice clean channel. Not as much gain as I though it would but I love the the amp and it perfectly suited for the type of music I play.

Splawn QuickRod

Another Killer amp - usable clean channel, killer lead and boosted lead tone. The amp also nails VH tone but can also do modern tones if you want it to. This is an older one that has shared EQ and no gear switch like the newer ones have. The tone of this amp tells me I'm not missing anything

Mesa/Boogie DC 5

I bought this after getting tired of modellers and wanted a differnt tone than the 2203 (which was my only tube amp at the time of purchase. I paid something like $500-550 for this amp and was amazed on how good of an amp this is. Can get you close to recto land...killer clean channel...silky smooth boogie lead tone and EQ. This is a versatile amp, 50 watts 6L6 with Reverb. Best bang for the buck of any amp I own. Every time I play this amp I fall in love with again

I know you wanted 3 but I had to list 5 and cant leave 2 out as I love all of these amps and thats why I keep them all. :ROTF:
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ahh the Bogner Ecstasy I see. Nice amp man. I played one back and forth with the Ubershall. As I really liked the Ecstasy, I kept going back to the Ubershall. I like it alittle more. More my taste. Sweet list man. I also liked the Marshall 80's Jcm's. My uncle had a ego wall and I loved playing though it. I love that vintage marshall tone.

Dan

Comment

Vetta... for versatility and tone.. nothing even comes close.

5150... Its simply the best high gain AFFORDABLE metal tone that money can buy

Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulclass Purple Stripe... Just amazing tone.

Comment

I'm going to list three of my favorite amps that I've owned, not counting ones I've played.

JSX (gee, guess you guys didn't see that coming, eh?)

VHT 50/CL

Silver Jubilee JCM800 Marshall 50 watt head

Pete

Comment

"I'm going to list three of my favorite amps that I've owned, not counting ones I've played."

Gorilla GG-25

That's all I got man.

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
              "I'm going to list three of my favorite amps that I've owned, not counting ones I've played."

Gorilla GG-25

That's all I got man.

Ah hell, list what you want, I just thought it would be a good idea to preface my list with that. You learn a lot more about an amp after owning it IMHO than running one through it's paces at a GC with a different cab and guitar.

Pete

Comment

framus cobra - recto mixed with jcm800, just heavier and a way better clean channel
                peavey 5150 I - as john said, nothing beats a 5150 for an affordable HEAVY tone
                marshall jcm 800 2210 - it's got *that* marshall grind and punch...do i need to say more?

Comment

VHT Ultra-Lead 120: This amps channel 2 is TO DIE FOR! The clean is nice enough. The lead is dryish but, saturated at the same time. There is just something special that goes on with this amp. Sounds great thru any cab too.

ENGL Special Edition: This is a true boutique amp except it also handles ultra heavy modern tones as well. Holds it's own with respect to midgain and clean tones with whatever's out there. No real flaws. Includes the kitchen sink in the features list too.

Mesa TriAxis/2:90: This rig is what I've always wanted. I've owned it for 3 years now and it's never going anywhere. Singing/stinging/soaring Boogie tone. The cleans are stellar. The blues tone with the clean channel cranked is AWESOME.

I have others but, you asked for top 3.
                  Last edited by Robotechnology; 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

"HEADS" ..NO STOMPS!!

Bogner Uberschall...the best amp I owned, played or heard..100% balls in a box!!

Peavey JSX... Plenty of "usable" gain, great low end, better clean and lead tones than 5150 = killer amp!!

No third at this time...my bud played Framus and Deizels on tour, and swappin' his Powerballs for Uberballs!!

Honorable mention..SLO/VHT/Splawn..nice VH-ish tones..I need more girth and gain..

5150..cool, if you snag a nice one for under 5 bones.

BTW..The preamp tube upgrade made a huge difference with the Uber.

Bill Z
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Wow. Tough choice here. I am only going with what I have owned.

SLO - It is the only head that I have ever had this long so that to me is "my tone"
                      5150 - Same reason as JG
                      Vetta- Again, Same reason as JG.

Comment

I would have had the SLO in my list too but I have never owned one. Someday I will.

Right now.. I am thinking about Tetsuo's Engl Fireball. I never owned an Engl either although I think the Powerball is CRUSHING.

Comment

Marshalls, Mesa's and higher end Peaveys... although right now, I'm settling for a Peavey Valveking... but by settle, I mean completely, absoultely happy with and damn this thing is loud!
                          "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                          Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                          Dimebag Darrell
                          Chuck Schuldiner
                          Cliff Burton

Comment

At the moment, it's these three (becaue that's what I own).

Comment

Originally posted by mhenson42 View Post
                              At the moment, it's these three (becaue that's what I own).

WOW..Dude, that's MY kind of stable..LET'S TALK!!!

My friend had a Engl endorsed for some time. While on tour in Europe and Mexico he played a Deizel and a Framus Cobra.

He liked them better than his Powerball, but favored the Cobra a tad more. He's going for a Bogner endorement after playing my Uberschall. Being in a band signed to SPV and with Ripper Owens has its perks I guess...

I keep the gain on my Uberschall completely maxed, and cultivated a very tight, focused and brutal tone. It loses this "growl" whenever I back it off the gain even a tad. A few shredder buds that were dialing/playing also prefer it maxed as well.

The only complaint I had was a midrange "honk" at high volume levels. I conveyed this complaint to the tube store..they advised me to go with Tung Sols 12ax7s..so I crossed my fingers and ordered a matching set of six..kinda expensive but worth it!!

Not only did it remedy the nasily "honk" I couldn't dial out. They gave it MUCHO output and Low end. I backed off the low for the first time owning it. The only trade-off was more noise, which I fixed via noise gate on my G-Major...BIG difference with the Tung Sols...The stock JJ's have a Marshall-like midrange, I get more than enough mids from the El34s alone..the JJ's were just TOO much midrange, so it's a great balance...luckily.

Since you have three, fine high gain sumbitches..which one do you prefer. I always go for a classic VH tone but with MUCH more balls. Which of those three comes closest to that sorta tone..which amp is the "brownest" and the most "butal"?..

You seem to like the amps I go for..it's obvious you're not going for a classic rock or blues tone..is that assumption correct.?

I finally tried a Krank..I was shockingly disappointed with it . The dude I mentioned above works at GC and was there when I was test drove..a JSX, Krankenstein, and VHT Pittbull lead. I asked if there was any "magic" tricks I needed to know when tweaking the Krank, because I was getting nowhere fast. He stated.."Nope, that's it" and just chuckled..

OK, just one more thing..I'm running a Marshall 1960a slant cab with 75 wt clestions. Other than "looks" how badly do I need a Uberkab???!!!

OK, YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!!!

Bill Z Bub
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X