Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My old Peavey Envoy 110 amp is ill (needs a transplant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old Peavey Envoy 110 amp is ill (needs a transplant)

This is my first amp which I got almost 10 years ago and it's been sitting in my living room broken for years. I believe the only thing wrong with it is the input jack piece that's connected to the circuit board itself, but I think it's a start at least getting that fixed (I remember some old humming noise, but that may be fixed with this.)

Here's the board that I took out from the speaker cab/case and you can see that I put an arrow where the piece goes:

Closeup of where the input jack fits onto the board:

And here's the piece:

You can see 4 small holes on the board and the actual part that you plug your cable into the piece at sticks out through the bigger hole on the front of the board casing. One of the little silver metal pieces that you see sticking down on the piece is kind of screwed up and it's missing some solder metal stuff that was originally on it, so it won't "stick" to inside the 4 holes. It jiggles around even when I put the washer onto the front/outside of the amp to lock it down so I think I'm going to need to have someone place it back onto the board and have it soldered so it will stay in place and not jiggle around (I can put it back into place, but it will need to be soldered to be secure I think.) There may be a way around that so I decided to check here. If this amp is going to cost a bit to be repaired, I'll most likely not worry about it since it'd defeat the purpose.

There may be a way to get around having to do all of the soldering stuff and I'd like to find a way, but I'll most likely need to get a new input jack for it since the one pictured above is out of whack and I don't know what it's called and where to get a replacement. I actually had this same problem fixed once years ago and it was a good bit (the place I brought it to is a ripoff) but back in the day I didn't take care of it like I should have and once it's fixed, I'll make sure to be careful with not abusing the input jack so this won't happen again.

Baker, LA, eh? I'd contact Peavey CS and ask them if you can ship the chassis to them for repair. Probably the cheapest and best repair you'll get, Peavey is VERY cool to their customers. If you ship the chassis less the cab and speaker it'll probably be no more than $15-$20 if you use Fedex or even USPS. Just bag the chassis in a plastic bag and bubble wrap the hell out of it. No one can fix it better than Peavey.

Next is to looke for their nearest authoried service center, but they'll probably charge you a lot more than Peavey to make the repair..
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      Baker, LA, eh? I'd contact Peavey CS and ask them if you can ship the chassis to them for repair. Probably the cheapest and best repair you'll get, Peavey is VERY cool to their customers. If you ship the chassis less the cab and speaker it'll probably be no more than $15-$20 if you use Fedex or even USPS. Just bag the chassis in a plastic bag and bubble wrap the hell out of it. No one can fix it better than Peavey.

Next is to looke for their nearest authoried service center, but they'll probably charge you a lot more than Peavey to make the repair..
      Yes, Baker (right near Baton Rouge,) LA

I was actually thinking of contacting Peavey, but I bought this amp 9 years ago or so and I'm positive it isn't under warranty any longer. Do you think they'd still help me out and fix it even though I bought it so long ago? If they will, I definitely will contact them and ship it out if they agree. I'll have to look around and find some contact info.

Comment

I emailed Peavey repair a couple days ago and I haven't gotten a reply yet. I know it's only been a couple of days, but I'm hoping that they aren't ignoring me in the case of them knowing that there's nothing they can do.

Is this the usual speed of them emailing customers back? I actually hope so; I don't want to be hanging in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by The Magic Hoof View Post
          Yes, Baker (right near Baton Rouge,) LA

I was actually thinking of contacting Peavey, but I bought this amp 9 years ago or so and I'm positive it isn't under warranty any longer. Do you think they'd still help me out and fix it even though I bought it so long ago? If they will, I definitely will contact them and ship it out if they agree. I'll have to look around and find some contact info.
          I bought a Peavey Triumph P.A.G. off of Ebay (the predecessor of the XXX and Ultra amos), a 3- channel tube combo. The footswitch was a little iffy, so I bought another 3-channel FS off of Ebay,, same 7-pin DIN connector.

Turned out it wasn't wired the same, so I emailed Peavey CS. They said sen 'em both in and we'll rewire tham. So I did, figured they'd tell me how much when they were done. It was a 1989 amp, it was 2003, and they knew I didn't buy it from them.

One week after I shipped the footswitches, I got them back, one with a new DIN connector and the other rewired to work with the amp - NO CHARGE!

Now, I'm sure they'll charge you to fix the amp, that's a bigger job. But it'll also be cheaper than ANY repair facility, THEy made the amp so they know it best, and they'll probably go over it and fix things that are ABOUT to go.

Peavey CS is great. If they're a little slow on the email maybe email them every few days until you get a reply. Just reforward your original sent email. Just say in the email that you know it's out of warranty and would like to know how much to fix it. They may want you to send it in before they get a quote, or might quote you a flat rate. I had a Carvin amp years ago and they quoted a flat $115 to service and fix anything, less tubes. Actually, they fucked up and blew my existing tubes, so they DID give me the replacement tubes for the flat rate, plus fixed the problems caused by my dropping the amp!

So that's a different company, but Peavey takes care of their customers.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've decided to ship the head to a friend and he'll be fixing it up for me. I sent 2 emails and Peavey hasn't gotten back to me, so I take it I won't be able to reach them. It'll be fixed up in no time by my pal, but not only that: it will be fixed up even better and have a good jack on it finally

Comment

Sorry they didn't get back to you, but luckily you have a friend that fixes amps! Since I don't have that, I'd probably break down and look for a tollfree number and call them.

They have 2 or 3 service centers around here, but I know they'd charge me full pop. It'd be worth calling Peavey to see if they'd do me a solid. You never know, but again, it's great that your friend is a tech!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think it might be that Peavey just don't get back to emails very quickly, but I'm glad I found a solution that's most likely cheaper. Yeah, if it's audio equipment and electronics -- my friend is the way to go. He can build an entire studio from scratch blindfolded

Comment

Working...
                X