Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, my name is _____ and these are my 5150 settings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, my name is _____ and these are my 5150 settings...

there seems to be alot of 5150 users on this site, i think it would be cool if we all posted our settings.

as of now mine are...
    (only lead channel, i dont use the rhythm channel that often)
    pre = 4
    low = 6
    mid = 4
    high = 4
    post - 2-3
    res - 4.5
    presence - 3.5

they pretty much change on a daily basis depending on my mood, I'm NEVER satisfied with my tone it seems.
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Originally posted by guitar08man View Post
    (only lead channel, i dont use the rhythm channel that often)
    pre = 4
    low = 6
    mid = 4
    high = 4
    post - 2-3
    res - 4.5
    presence - 3.5
    Believe it or not my current settings are pretty much identical to yours other than the fact that I usually have the "low" set at 5.

Comment

Do you use your clean channel??? How is that setup and how does it sound? Can you get a Fender clean out of it???

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
        Can you get a Fender clean out of it???
        in a word, NO. The 5150's clean channel is nothing to shout about, but im told the 5150 II's is a bit better.

Comment

in a word, NO. The 5150's clean channel is nothing to shout about, but im told the 5150 II's is a bit better.

It's a tad better because it has it's own dedicated EQ section, but that's all

That's if you play clean..I don't.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the 5150 doesnt have a "clean" channel anyways. it wasnt designed that way. you can get useable cleans out of it, but nothing amazing. the II is better, but still not amazing.

my settings...
            high gain input
            lead pre 3-4
            bass 5
            mids 7
            highs 5
            resonance 4
            presence 7
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
              the 5150 doesnt have a "clean" channel anyways. it wasnt designed that way. you can get useable cleans out of it, but nothing amazing. the II is better, but still not amazing.

my settings...
              high gain input
              lead pre 3-4
              bass 5
              mids 7
              highs 5
              resonance 4
              presence 7

are these the same settings that your using on the recordings on your soundcilck page?

Comment

Do you know the 5150 debut in 1990.

How many years does it take to dial-in five, black, chicken head knobs..:ROTF:
                ...I'm sorry, but think about it..

Seriously, think about it!!

No disrespect man, I love you guys..but how is someone else's settings to their ears, hands and style going to help you...

No, I'm not posting my settings..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Do you know the 5150 debut in 1990.

How many years does it take to dial-in five, black, chicken head knobs..:ROTF:
                  ...I'm sorry, but think about it..

Seriously, think about it!!

No disrespect man, I love you guys..but how is someone else's settings to their ears, hands and style going to help you...

haha i hear you,

i mean i have my settings as well, i just like looking at other peoples settings, seeing whats out there. I cant eat meat and potatoes every day of my life, haha.

Comment

They're all at 10 I'm sure
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

are these the same settings that your using on the recordings on your soundcilck page?
                      none of the clips on my soundclick are 5150, other than some 5150 patches from my pod! however, the recent jams ive done have a very similar tone to what i have on my 5150. one of these days ill get a decent mic and ill do some stuff with it. my 5150 tone is a lot like Alexi Laiho's on Hatebreeder...lots of mids and a good dose of highs for that glassy sheen on top, and enough bottom for some thickness and thump without walking all over the bass. cuts through a live band like nobody's business!

i love the tone on its own, but i have a feeling a lot of people will say "too many mids and highs!" but i set it up to what i like to hear. works great with a band though!
                      My metal band Lucian Scott
                      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

haha i hear you,

i mean i have my settings as well, i just like looking at other peoples settings, seeing whats out there. I cant eat meat and potatoes every day of my life, haha.
                        Cool,..

I owned the first 5150 in my area...this is true.

Bought in 1990, and bought four since..they smoked everything I ever got my hands on for a long time..

In those years of CONSTANTLY fucking with mine, including various external EQs, tube upgrades and ect..I discovered the best stock 5150 sound..mind you, it took me almost ten years to get it..

I always ran mine with Marshall cabs..ever since '90..and discovered the BBE 422 in early '91..since that was always a essential mainstay with that amp..that unit works better with the 5150 than any amp I every tried it with..too many amps to count.

In '98 a friend needed some cash, and I bought his mint 5150 half stack for about 400 bucks. It was the first time I had the matching cab in my house..I was bummin' on it at first because I'm dedicated to celestions, but it was here. After I dialed it in I was amazed!!

With the celestions I could never get the gain close to 6 without starting to be farty, even with with all the eqs I tried..poof that was finally gone. I even discovered I could push it a tad more to 6 1/4..it doesn't sound like much but it is and without any farting!!

Fuck you TS9 and OD-1..both of you can kiss my fuggin' ass..now I can hear and feel the tubes..amen!!

I got rid of all the external eq crap and I just used a Lexicon processor and the BBE in the loop with matching cab..it was by far the best tone I ever milked from a 5150..Cleveland John ran his the same way...we can get those barking nicely...we've been told..

We are amazed to this day how many local guys don't have a clue how to dial their 5150s. A Judas Preist Tribute was doing a show with John's band not long ago and both players are veterans. We couldn't believe how horrible their Peaveys sounded..it sound like two fuzzy transistor radios up full and completely incoherent. We had to waite for the vocals to see what song they were playing..I shit you not!!

So in short John and I conviction with the 5150 is matching cab..I heard people say they rattle and shit..whatever, it was prolly fucked up or they don't know what the fuck their doing..I wouldn't doubt it. Get a mint or new matching cab and BBE 422 and your favorite processor in the loop..that's it!!!

I'm not steering my brothers wrong!!

my settings from memory:

I'm hittin' the G spots here..I remember 'em well!!

Pre/Gain 5.75 to just past about 6.25
                        Bass 6 to 6.5
                        mids 4 to 4.5
                        treble 6 to 6.5
                        Resonance..depending on room..6.5 to 7.5
                        Presence...depending on room..6.5 to 7.5

*Note, I was able to push the resonance MUCH further without farting/bloating with the 5150 Shefields than with my 75 wt celestions...without doubt, confirmed, no shit!!

The Marshall/Peavey cab test was done side by side same settings, same high volume, same guitar, same room,..switched back and forth via A/B switch...no comparison..The Peavey cab won hands down...and your talking to someone with Five Marshall 1960 cabs sitting next to me..My Uber being on one of them..not for long, because I'm getting a Uberkab...too many people in the know can't be wrong..

Hope this helps somebody..because that was 17 years of fuggin' with 5150s..

Bill Z Bub

Comment

cool story bill! i really appreciate it. Im actually kinda suprised you dont dial it in at 6, 6, 6, (har har har).

Comment

Cool,..

I owned the first 5150 in my area...this is true.

Bought in 1990, and bought four since..they smoked everything I ever got my hands on for a long time..

In those years of CONSTANTLY fucking with mine, including various external EQs, tube upgrades and ect..I discovered the best stock 5150 sound..mind you, it took me almost ten years to get it..

I always ran mine with Marshall cabs..ever since '90..and discovered the BBE 422 in early '91..since that was always a essential mainstay with that amp..that unit works better with the 5150 than any amp I every tried it with..too many amps to count.

In '98 a friend needed some cash, and I bought his mint 5150 half stack for about 400 bucks. It was the first time I had the matching cab in my house..I was bummin' on it at first because I'm dedicated to celestions, but it was here. After I dialed it in I was amazed!!

With the celestions I could never get the gain close to 6 without starting to be farty, even with with all the eqs I tried..poof that was finally gone. I even discovered I could push it a tad more to 6 1/4..it doesn't sound like much but it is and without any farting!!

Fuck you TS9 and OD-1..both of you can kiss my fuggin' ass..now I can hear and feel the tubes..amen!!

I got rid of all the external eq crap and I just used a Lexicon processor and the BBE in the loop with matching cab..it was by far the best tone I ever milked from a 5150..Cleveland John ran his the same way...we can get those barking nicely...we've been told..

We are amazed to this day how many local guys don't have a clue how to dial their 5150s. A Judas Preist Tribute was doing a show with John's band not long ago and both players are veterans. We couldn't believe how horrible their Peaveys sounded..it sound like two fuzzy transistor radios up full and completely incoherent. We had to waite for the vocals to see what song they were playing..I shit you not!!

So in short John and I conviction with the 5150 is matching cab..I heard people say they rattle and shit..whatever, it was prolly fucked up or they don't know what the fuck their doing..I wouldn't doubt it. Get a mint or new matching cab and BBE 422 and your favorite processor in the loop..that's it!!!

I'm not steering my brothers wrong!!

my settings from memory:

I'm hittin' the G spots here..I remember 'em well!!

Pre/Gain 5.75 to just past about 6.25
                            Bass 6 to 6.5
                            mids 4 to 4.5
                            treble 6 to 6.5
                            Resonance..depending on room..6.5 to 7.5
                            Presence...depending on room..6.5 to 7.5

*Note, I was able to push the resonance MUCH further without farting/bloating with the 5150 Shefields than with my 75 wt celestions...without doubt, confirmed, no shit!!

The Marshall/Peavey cab test was done side by side same settings, same high volume, same guitar, same room,..switched back and forth via A/B switch...no comparison..The Peavey cab won hands down...and your talking to someone with Five Marshall 1960 cabs sitting next to me..My Uber being on one of them..not for long, because I'm getting a Uberkab...too many people in the know can't be wrong..

Hope this helps somebody..because that was 17 years of fuggin' with 5150s..

Bill Z Bub
                            In general I agree with you as matching cabs seem to work really well with there respected heads. I never understood why people would just change there head and keep there cabnet. Money maybe?? Whats funny is most amp companies voice match the head to the cab. I noticed a difference when trying different heads on different cabs. Some sounded good some not so good. Actually I found some cabs to make great heads sound like ass.

It's good to hear the 5150 cab is nice.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                              In general I agree with you as matching cabs seem to work really well with there respected heads. I never understood why people would just change there head and keep there cabnet. Money maybe?? Whats funny is most amp companies voice match the head to the cab. I noticed a difference when trying different heads on different cabs. Some sounded good some not so good. Actually I found some cabs to make great heads sound like ass.

It's good to hear the 5150 cab is nice.

Dan
                              Yes, I found the best tone I could get from my Recto was with a Recto cab..it's sounded farty has hell with the many different cabs that both Cleveland John and I own..

Comment

Working...
                              X