Help me decide: JSX, Stiletto or Vetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide: JSX, Stiletto or Vetta

I am thinking of getting a new amp, and I would appreciate your advice, as there is very little available to test near where I live.

I want to be able to get DLR-era EVH tones and, if possible, some Zakk tones, too. Guitar-wise, I usually play a JEM, a Charvel SD1, or a Jackson PC1. I just jam in my basement now, but I may play in a band again if I find a good situation.

I currently run my Pod XT Live into a Marshall 3203 (tube power section), into a Marshall 1960A 4x12 (75 watt Celestions). I have heard good things about the Peavey JSX and the Mesa Stiletto (Mark II, I guess), along with the Vetta. If I got the JSX or Stiletto, I would plan to use my XT Live for effects. It seems that all of these three amps sell for around $1000 used.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JSX!!!!!!

That's a no brainer for me!!!

You KNOW what I own and I want a JSX!!

I would sell the Mesa if you gave it to me..

then buy a ..well..a JSX!!

no question in my mind..I just played the sliletto for 5 minutes and turned it off..not impressed..

I could NOT stop playing the JSX
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Let me elaborate some more..

I think the VHT pittbull lead detroys the stilletto..big time!

But I still liked the JSX better than the VHT..just enough to know I do.

I KNOW the sound you want..go with the VHT or Peavey!!

forget that other whatevertheshitandfuggitamp..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Vetta....

it can do it ALL.

you should hear my EVH tones out of the Vetta with the on-board phaser, it's sick. my bandmates were blown away when they heard me just playing around with Ain't Talkin Bout Love during tune up time at rehearsal.

Vetta = more fun for your dollar

plus it has been awesome in a band setting, any tone you need is there, with authority.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

This is the dilemma I'll face, I'm gonna have to play them both and compare myself. I know and love tubes, and the JSX will be up there with that little bit extra I love to have. But I'm also a fan of modelling and the versatility, being a complete techgeek, I'll have the vetta hooked up 6 ways from sunday and completely controlled (possibly even automated) by the pc in seconds

Ideally id grab em both, but when its based on need and a little want.....argh!

Comment

vetta
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I sold a vetta to get my JSX, and I don't regret it a bit. However, a lot of that was because I was getting tired of the vetta... and I'll probably get another one someday.

Pete

Comment

Hey Bill,

Did you play series one or series two of the stiletto?

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                JSX!!!!!!

That's a no brainer for me!!!

You KNOW what I own and I want a JSX!!

I would sell the Mesa if you gave it to me..

then buy a ..well..a JSX!!

no question in my mind..I just played the sliletto for 5 minutes and turned it off..not impressed..

I could NOT stop playing the JSX

Comment

Thanks for your interesting comments. They are much appreciated. Will a Vetta be noticeably better than my Pod XT Live? I know the Vetta can run 2 amps at once, which is very cool. I think that is the biggest audible difference, right? I also have a JBL Eon G2 (powered speaker), and I sometimes run one side of my XTL to the Marshall/4x12 and one side to the JBL (though I'm usually too lazy and just connect it to computer speakers ), so I am capable of getting a stereo spread. Will a Vetta be noticeably better than that setup?

Comment

I can't comment on the JSX as I've never played one, but the Stiletto will nail the tones that you're looking for. The only reason that I sold mine was that my rack was able to nail all of the stiletto tones and then some. I haven't played the newer Stilettos but my understanding is that they bumped the gain on the lead channel. If you want hot rodded Marshall type tone, it crushes the new Marshalls (it sounds alot like a hot rodded 800 series).
                    The Vetta is a cool amp and I keep considering adding one just for the ease of gigging and overall versatility. That said, it sounds good, but not as good as the amps that it models. I couldn't come up with a setting on my buddies' Vetta that touched the dynamics and pure tone of an old Marshall Super Lead, a Matchless Chieftain, or a '68 Deluxe Reverb...all of these amps had ALOT more going on tonally than the Vetta. That said, the Vetta did a decent job (it would probably fool most people) and is a hell of a lot easier to haul around and maintain than the others.

Comment

Just know that the POD powered by a tube power section...I play side by side all the time with the basic same set up...only ss Vs tube...we even run the same patch...He is buying a tube power amp soon!!!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                        Will a Vetta be noticeably better than my Pod XT Live?
                        yes

the two amp feature and the stereo feature will knock you out.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I'd go with the Mesa.

Comment

Hmmm. Vetta or the JSX. I am not really into the Mesa but that is me. Have you played all three yet? That is wihat I would do first. Then narrow it to two and go from there.

Comment

I've yet to find anying close the classic VH tone as the Marshall JMP-1/9200 w/5881's (6L6)..or a Marshall 2210..do I need to post the clips..AGAIN!!??

Fuggit, you want DLR era VH tone..here it is..

Marshall JMP-1 w/6L6 Poweramp..

NO Mesa is going to give ya that!!..PERIOD!!!!

Far as heads..I'm with Pete..JSX!!
                              Last edited by horns666; 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X