Newbie tubie with question - Ampeg VT-120 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie tubie with question - Ampeg VT-120 combo

I just picked up my first tube amp, a used 1989 Ampeg VT-120 (60/120W, single 12" 150W Celestion combo amp...very, very heavy though). So loud it peels paint off of the walls. I run line out to my Line 6 AX2 to get duplex sound that has wonderful tone.

Anyway, having been a solid-state guy up to now, I have a question.

I noticed there is a lag of 1-2 seconds after switching channels before the channel volume is back up to its set value (jumps down then drifts up after switching channels). Kind of like part of the circuit is taking too long to build up charge. Is this typical of tube amps?

I plan to leave it with my amp tech for a service checkup to verify proper bias, lubricate the pots and do whatever those tube gurus do. I just don't want to part with it just yet.

Originally posted by technogumbo View Post
    I noticed there is a lag of 1-2 seconds after switching channels before the channel volume is back up to its set value (jumps down then drifts up after switching channels). Kind of like part of the circuit is taking too long to build up charge. Is this typical of tube amps?
    Abolsutely NOT related to tube amps. Either YOUR amp has issues, or it's just a bad design. I've never owned an Ampeg VT-120 combo so I can't comment, but any other channel switching tube amp out there should change channels instantly and seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Abolsutely NOT related to tube amps. Either YOUR amp has issues, or it's just a bad design.
      I guess good that switching delay is not inherent to tube amps, but bad that my new toy has to already go in the shop. Oh well, the techie can sprinkle his magic pixie dust and she will be back to melting faces.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X