Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 and the newer 6505.

As I understand it,
    this 6505 is exaclty the same as a 5150 correct? I only played one a few minutes when looking for an amp and didn't like it at all. But I have heard many artists using them and they had great tone.
    The price is fantastic for a 1/2 stack. Can someone comment on this amps abilities? How good is the clean channel? Tell me about the effects loop, is there 1 or 2?

I'm sure it's been gone over a few times in here but I searched and found topics that kinda went off topic.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

the 5150 and 6505 is the exact same amp. they had to change the name since Eddie owned the use of 5150.

the 5150 doesnt have a clean channel. it has a rhythm and a lead channel. although the rhythm channel can be used as a clean. theres one trick to use, and thats to turn the Post Gain all the way up and use the Pre Gain as your volume. thats supposed to help you keep it cleaner. also, a little chorus goes a long way as well.
    the effects loop is ok. nothing special. i like running my pedals (if i use any) in front myself.
    the amp can do anything from hard rock to all out metal insanity. ive used mine for 11 years now, and it IS my tone, and the one amp i will never get rid of.

all i can say is, if youre interested in it, take your own guitar and give it another shot. dont run the gain really high (they have too much as it is...i dont run the gain on the lead channel over 4 myself, and thats for metal!) and watch how much bass you use. combined with the resonance control you could swallow up a bass player. just put all the EQ knobs at noon and adjust from there. i run mine with bass at 5, mids at 7, highs at 5, resonance at 4, and presence 7, normally with EMGs.

good luck!
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Cool.. I haven't tried a 5150 myself yet.. They don't pop up here often.. Wich is a good sign, because that probably means people are generally happy with them! A guy I know may sell one sometime soon.. Definitely something I'll check into!
      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Yes they don't resell very often. Seems like a high customer satisfaction rating to me.

Comment

True on all posts so far..

agreed!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Rhythm channel can get clean enough. It certainly passable, not fender but it will suffice.
            Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

ive know a few people who get one, sell it, and then get it back later when they realized that it was the amp for them, after trying god knows how many others.
              me, ive owned mine since i got it new in 96...11 years, and its never broke or crapped out on me! not only is it the sound i want, its reliable as all hell. good for me!
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I owned the first one in my town and four more since.

That whole story is in the other 5150 thread..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

As more I learn the more I realize I don't know. I've been playing guitar since 1979, took a few years off, started up last year and found so many new things.

Tone is very Important to me and I've been listening to other guitarist tone and found a couple that use the 6505 and I liked what I heard. Eddie Van Halen's tone isn't for me. I never really liked the Brown tone but from what I haveheard other do with the 5150 and 6505, I can find my ton in there. I can hear it. I gotta get down to a store that carries the 1/2 stack and really get into it. Clean is a huge part of my playing as I love nothing more then a amp that can produce Fender tone. My Krank can and it's fucking awesome. It's just heavier as in darker sounding then a Twin. I would hope to beable to get the 6505 close to that somehow. The drive channel on the 6505 from what I have heard has that 80's metal tone with some todays crunch.

I'm probably like many of you, you can hear your tone in your head before you pick up your guitar. You want to hear it a certain way. When you have something different , you want that tone in your mind. My Krank has awesome tone both clean and drive. My drive channel is still more for Heavy heavy metal and I can't really get a softer smoother tone out of it that I hear in my head. The 6505 seemed to have that softer side I can hear.

Thanks a bunch for the setup tips. I'll keep my Krank for Crazy heavy and add in the 6505 if it gives me what I think it's going 2. If it doesn't work out for me, I'm going back to checking out the Bogner Ubershall as I really like that amp.

Dan

Comment

Well I can certainly guarantee if you test drove a Uberschall and a 5150 side by side..it would be a "no brainer" in 15 seconds..

I hear you about the "tone in your head"..I'm hearing it right now . You have to be happy with the gear you have. If you like your Krank and it's workisfor you, good for you man..you gotta go whatever works for you!!

Good luck in your quest for great tone..it sounds like you already found it.

The 5150 is nothing like the classic VH "brown" sound..but a ol' Marshall fucked with the right way certainly is. VHTs and Soldanos also do well for that. The 5150 is a tried and true hard rockin'/ Metal workhorse..you can't go wrong if that's your gig..especially for the $$$

The Uber is in a class all by itself..it'll cost ya, but worth it.

I urge you to try the Peavey JSX..It really impressed me even more the second time I played with it...I like it better than the beloved 5150. It really kicked my ass to be honest.

Comment

If Clean is a big part of your tone and you are considering a Peavey.. you're gonna laugh but I heard and saw this live myself... check out a Peavey Ultra plus. Loud as hell, the lead channel was as heavy as my 5150, and the clean channel was WAY better than my 5150. There is also a a middle channel that covers the ground between the 2 sounds... so more of a heavy crunch up to heavy. See if you can find a used one.
                      Also - I'll put another plug in for the JSX... they are very versatile, and can do a LOT of different tones...
                      Last edited by Wayniac; 01-12-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

If clean is a big part of your playing, then go with the 5150 II (6505+) instead of a 5150. Better yet, try out a JSX. It's a true 3 channel (the 5150s share clean and crunch on one channel) with much better cleans.
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

You can expect some subtle improvement from upgrading the preamp tubes in those amps, so if you like it with the stock tubes, you'll probably really like it with some better tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                            they had to change the name since Eddie owned the use of 5150.
                            That's kinda funny, considering Marshall had a solid state combo amp with the model number 5150 way before Eddie and Peavey.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Well I can certainly guarantee if you test drove a Uberschall and a 5150 side by side..it would be a "no brainer" in 15 seconds..

I hear you about the "tone in your head"..I'm hearing it right now . You have to be happy with the gear you have. If you like your Krank and it's workisfor you, good for you man..you gotta go whatever works for you!!

Good luck in your quest for great tone..it sounds like you already found it.

The 5150 is nothing like the classic VH "brown" sound..but a ol' Marshall fucked with the right way certainly is. VHTs and Soldanos also do well for that. The 5150 is a tried and true hard rockin'/ Metal workhorse..you can't go wrong if that's your gig..especially for the $$$

The Uber is in a class all by itself..it'll cost ya, but worth it.

I urge you to try the Peavey JSX..It really impressed me even more the second time I played with it...I like it better than the beloved 5150. It really kicked my ass to be honest.
                              My Krank has awesome cleans. Very fender like but heavier like a bass head. The drive channel rips man. I have it dialed in and it crushes but I got a Boss GT 8 and man it sucks on it. It killed my tone and ruined everything in my opnion. I think the footswitch also added noise in the gt8 as there is a small amount of voltage due to lighting up the lights on the Krank footswitch. The gt 8 can channel change your clean and drive channel but can't switch into your lead boost. How the Krank does this is they Added a volume control on the drive channel and you can switch between them. It's cool as hell as you tone is exaclty the same with different volumes.

I also like versitility which I don't think the Krank has. You can run the volume down but I can't get any AC DC type mellow tone out of it. It's balls to the wall and thats it. I don't like it any other way. The Gt 8 I wS hoping on after owning it hoped I could use some of the amp models to help me achieve different tones. I was wrong. It sounds like ass.

So as any musician I look for the next thing to come around and that Bogner Ubershall is awesome. Without spending a ton of time with it, I do like the way it sounds. The 5150 I really like that tone as well. I love that crunchy 80's with a touch of todays metal tone. Thats how the 5150 sounds to me. Bullet for my Valentine's tone is all about the 6505. I like there tone alot. The cd is recorded like ass but I can hear there tone in there.(Is it so hard to find sound guys that have good ears????)

Anyone have any clips of the 5150 or the 6505 series?? Maybe a few cleans??? I'd also like to know what you used to achieve that tone.

Thanks guys

Dans

Comment

Working...
                              X