JSX wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX wattage

Ok, I'm considering this amp based upon much of it's positive reviews it's been getting. Yes, there are those that don't like it but I think for the most part, people are excepting it.

One thing that I don't like with my TSL100 is that I never turn the volume any higher then a 4 for the clubs I play so I never really get a chance to push the tubes at all. So, 120 watts is without a dought overkill for me. Here a question/thought: Would running a lower wattage amp at a higher output be the same as running a channel at higher output but using the master volume to keep the actual volume low? Am I making sence here?

The JSX combo has a 60/120 switch plus a master volume as well.

joe....
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

With any amp, play it first before you decide to get one. Unless you live at the top of a mountain or something, there should be a Peavey dealer not too far where you can try out a JSX.

Regarding the JSX volume - it's the lowest volume 4x6L6 or EL34 head I've owned. Not quite 50 watt volume, but it does seem to not crank as much as the marshalls or 100 watt boogies I've had.

You're making sense, the problem is that most newer high gain amps are getting that tone through the preamp, and the power section stays clean. You don't really want a whole lot of poweramp or transformer drive in your tone - I think you'll be fine not pushing the tubes in a JSX *or* the TSL.

Now, an old Marshall Plexi, or even some 800s is a different story because they aren't super high gain - adding a little more drive on the power section will beef up the sound. But if you dial in your gain on 10 on say a VHT, Bogner or modern channel switcher and crank the master, at a certain point your amp is going to get 'blurry' sounding and loose, which is what most of you guys here would NOT want.

Pete

Comment

Pete have you tried running your JSX thru a hotplate?
      I know what you're saying about getting "blurry" but at least with my B-52 if I dime the master and start to crank the channel volume I can roll back the gain, and the sound is actually smoother that way than if I keep the master down and crank the channel volume and the gain.
      Same thing with my 5150 combo, I' curious if the JSX would react the same way? (would probably sound killer)
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

My JSX was the quietest 100+ watt tube amp I've ever owned. My 5150 and Dual Recto were way louder.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
          Pete have you tried running your JSX thru a hotplate?
          I know what you're saying about getting "blurry" but at least with my B-52 if I dime the master and start to crank the channel volume I can roll back the gain, and the sound is actually smoother that way than if I keep the master down and crank the channel volume and the gain.
          Same thing with my 5150 combo, I' curious if the JSX would react the same way? (would probably sound killer)

Sounds like a good idea... but note that you're rolling the gain down. I see people all the time try to leave the gain cranked AND crank the master - and it gets pretty crappy sounding then IMHO.

Pete

Comment

Working...
          X