Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Dual Rectifier... what's a 'rectifier' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Dual Rectifier... what's a 'rectifier' ?

Amps like the Mesa Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier have something called a 'rectifier'. My question is: what's a rectifier and what does it do?
    Thanks in advance
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

This isn't the Randall Smith technical explanation but I think it gets you 90% there. A rectifier transforms ("rectifies") the alternating current coming into your amp from your guitar to direct current so it can be amplified by the power from the wall. A dual rectifier lets you switch between the older technology of vacuum tube rectification and modern diodes. One is not better than the other but they will give you different sounds. Diodes generally give you a tighter punchier sound which is good for metal riffs where as tube rectifers are more of a looser vintage sound. (e.g. Fender blackface)
    Last edited by cookiemonster2; 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Ah, I get it!

Comment

And not just the Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier have them, all amps do

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
          And not just the Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier have them, all amps do
          Then why do they make the 'rectifier' really heavily known, when all amps have one? (That would be like saying "OMG, our amp has an input jack!")

Comment

I don't think they called the single rec that until the OMG "dual rec" came out. then the significant difference between them was the # of rect and hence you call it by single rec, dual rec, etc.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I think Mesa makes a big deal out of it because they give the option of a tube rectifier which gives a quite different sound versus the solid-state/diode rectifier.

But is it really the number of rectifiers? Because I thought the Triple Rec still has only two...
              Scott

Comment

Dual and triple refer to the # of rectifier tubes (pretty sure the tripple has 3 rectifier tubes - someone of authority should comment), single recto has a silicon diode rectifier -no tube from what I understand, though I have never owned a boogie (did I just admit that?)
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Does the Silicon Diode Rectifier have a more modern tone?

Comment

Well from what i know the Rectifier was the first amp to give the option of choosing the rectifier you want to use. That's why they choose the name.
                    Yes every amp has a rectifier, either tube or silicon. But noone had the option to change those as far as i know. So it's definitely more than the "input jack" thing.

Flo
                    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                      Does the Silicon Diode Rectifier have a more modern tone?
                      Not a more modern tone... just a slightly different one. The silicone diode switch tightens up the amp, especially in the low end, but not that much. Also gives you more headroom for playings cleans and whatnot.

Comment

The B52 AT100 is a tri-mode rectifier amplifier. This basically means you can choose between diode rectification, tube class A rectification, or tube class A/B rectification. There is a significant difference in sound between the 3, ranging from the spongy, loose, vintage tube rectified sound, to the much tighter solid state rectified sound. I use mine mainly in class A/B.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Zeegler you beat me to it.
                          How are you liking that amp now that you've had it working
                          for a while?
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                          X