No announcement yet.

Do you practice with your "live" rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I use the full gear for practice. Of course, we don't gig anymore and just work on originals now, and to top it off, we practice in my basement! So I've got no excuses. For playing around the kitchen, etc....I use my old Crate G60 xl from back in the late 80's. Believe it or not, at "bedroom" volumes it sounds amazing.......just singing sustain. It still inspires me like it did in my early teens. As you turn it up it sounds progressively crappier though. ....but I will never get rid of it. It rocks at quiet levels.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
      Yeah, I use the full gear for practice. Of course, we don't gig anymore and just work on originals now, and to top it off, we practice in my basement! So I've got no excuses. For playing around the kitchen, etc....I use my old Crate G60 xl from back in the late 80's. Believe it or not, at "bedroom" volumes it sounds amazing.......just singing sustain. It still inspires me like it did in my early teens. As you turn it up it sounds progressively crappier though. ....but I will never get rid of it. It rocks at quiet levels.
      Thats the same amp that Malmsteen used to rehearse backstage with in the 80's. They sound great at low volumes.

Comment

My experience with tubes:

Power amp tubes will gradually wear down. It's so gradual that you won't notice until one day when you say to yourself, "Man this amp used to sound a lot better." Then you pop in a set of new tubes and say "Wow, what a difference new tubes make!" If the gear isn't being moved often, and only a few hours a week, then you shouldn't have to replace them more often than once a year or so unless you're really driving the power amp section. If you are, then I'd say every 6 months or so. If you put the new tubes in and don't notice a difference, put the old ones back and wait another few months. I'd spend about $40-$50 for a matched pair. It might seem a little expensive, but in my experience the nicer tubes just plain sound better.

Preamp tubes generally last forever unless one malfunctions. If one goes microphonic, you may as well replace them all, since sooner or later they will all go microphonic. Preamp tubes are much cheaper, usually $10 or so for a good one.

For other tube advice:
        Stay away from relabeled tubes such as GrooveTube. All they do is buy other tubes, test them, and slap their label on. All this for a nice price increase. I recommend www.thetubestore.com . I've always had good, quick service from them.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Stay away from relabeled tubes such as GrooveTube. All they do is buy other tubes, test them, and slap their label on. All this for a nice price increase. I recommend www.thetubestore.com . I've always had good, quick service from them.
          That's old school talk. Groove Tubes does some of their own stuff these days. Here's a different opinion on The Tube Store:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinti...tubestore.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            That's old school talk. Groove Tubes does some of their own stuff these days. Here's a different opinion on The Tube Store:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinti...tubestore.html
            About the Tube Store, YMMV I guess

It's nice to know that GT bought the old RCA plants and now makes some of their own tubes. You learn something everyday I guess
            Scott

Comment

i practice with my live rig with the band,then when im at home jamming out some riffs i use my 10 watt marshall,but i also live in a high rise,my live rig would get me evicted
              http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Of course... all my rigs have master volumes
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Live rig with band practice, Mesa Studio .22+ for home practice.

Comment

ya, the bands that I'm in, everyone's got big amps, so in turn, I need a big amp... gotta make everything sound good for a show.
                    Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-17-2007, 08:29 PM.
                    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                    Dimebag Darrell
                    Chuck Schuldiner
                    Cliff Burton

Comment

Working...
                    X