No announcement yet.

My HOLY GRAIL amp has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool as hell E, but if it has that much low-end, won't that drown out the bass player?
    Who cares

Comment

I actually want the bass to be loud, I'm starting a new project where the bass player has a huge role, a lot of slapping and grooves and whatnot so I have to tweak the sound after him.

btw. if you listen to Blue Murder's debut album then the guitar is actually pretty quiet...I think Bob Rock made the right move with this, you can hear the guitar's amazing tone but it doesn't dominate in the mix, the bass and the drums are loud and you can really feel that lively heavy groove under the guitar. The solos are made loud and in your face of course
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

E - man, you HAVE to post some of your stuff sometime..
        I know I've said this before but I'd love to hear some of your playing, cause you seem like someone who is open to a wide variety of musical styles and that just makes you that more interesting as a guitar player!
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

congratulations Endrik....killer Boogie indeed!
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I was just thinking about it Endrik... you officially have the baddest amp on the JCF. Even Bills Ubershall would run and hide when faced with the thunderous Mark III Coliseum.
            Congratz... You have officially been pimped by the amp gods.

Comment

thanks John

It doesn't have the modern gain of Uberchall, but it has more balls than any other amp I've heard, when I played with Uberchall it was like a machine-gun, chugga chugga chugga, Coliseum 300's are like tanks Kaboom-Kaboom-Kaboom

My electrician is going to replace the 16V capacitor today and then I'm ready to make some mayhem.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

nice score

Comment

Sounds like a killer score. Everything you say about it makes me want to try one, it certainly sounds like a Mesa amp I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                    Sounds like a killer score. Everything you say about it makes me want to try one, it certainly sounds like a Mesa amp I'd like.

Good luck finding one. The 300w Coliseum is the rarest of all Mesa Mark series amps.

Comment

I played a couple of hours with my amp at JC's place with his Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab w/V30's.

This amp really does EVERYTHING. It's like you have 40 amazing amps in one. I even got really close to recto sound, Mark amps usually can't give you the modern recto sound but this one gets really close with its brute force. We just played with JC's Triple Recto before that and were amazed how similar the Coliseum can sound.

You don't need no pedals to get a tight metal sound.
                      The best thing about this amp is the sustain and attack. AMAZING. Your notes will sustain for days and even with the most gentle touch you have an amazing attack.
                      This amp is very dynamical and sensitive. Your playing has to be very clean.

With the short amount of time I got tons of different tones. I really have to take some time and choose the best ones out of all the things this amp has to offer.

Man, this amp needs a 30 switch MIDI foot-controller.
                      Last edited by Endrik; 01-21-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I can confirm everything E said , that amp is amazing. One of the best metal sound i have ever heard and man that lead was super very sensitive tons of tone .

The other thing that that was quite suprising how using a wrong fuse can cange the sound of your amp:O

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          Good luck finding one. The 300w Coliseum is the rarest of all Mesa Mark series amps.
                          No Problemo, I will wait for Line 6 to model it for my XTL.

Seriously, it sounds too loud for me to use these days.

Comment

it sounds suprisingly good at low volumes

Comment

I just had to post in this thread, didn't I? (looked through 22 friggin' pages just to find it...)

Anyways congratu-fuckin-lations! Looks like we're both finally in tone heaven, my friend!

We're actually gonna start a little band again over summer, just for shits and giggles but we wanna start gigging as soon as possible. My best friend Frederik'll be the other guitarplayer. I converted him onto Mark amps a couple of years ago and he got himself a Mk III Coli as well, not sure of the stripe though, I believe it was a Blue as well.

Anyways together we're going to be fucking mayhem on stage. His Mk III and my Quad Pre....tonal heaven! None of that fucking JCM 2000 DSL crap that virtually every guitarplayer here uses. I kid you not, the only two amps players over here seem to know are fiz-for-brains new Marshalls and old vintage Fenders and nothing else. Even a Recto is kind of a rarity around here.

Anyways, having been able to give my Quad Pre a full run through on his Mesa Boogie grill cab, I am now even more convinced than ever that this is just THE amp for me, all I'd need now is a 2:90 simul, but I can not justify that amount of $$, nor the insane power at the moment. 2x90 is just WAY too much atm, even my 50:50 is over the top right now.

Another interesting thing, another fellow Quad owner got into contact with Mike for some q's and turns out the CH1 on the Quad is actually pretty much identical to a IIC+ and not a IIC, not that I care in the slightest, but it's a cool thing to throw around when there's a lot IIC+ worshippers around.

It'll be interesting to see who can get the most gain out of their amp. Fred's (and yours) Coli's got the insane power, especially once you get those tubes cooking, but the Quad LD2 (CH 2 is Mk III no stripe) is the hottest and gainiest channel on any Mark amp ever made. So that'll be a very interesting A/B test.

Anyways, dying to hear some tone clips man, if you ever get some.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Wow, all this Mark III Coliseum talk has got me interested. I know the Coliseum is more, more more, but is it really ridiculously way louder than a regular Mark III. Does a regular Mark III even come close.

I don't know if you've played Sunn Model Ts but those are killer volume amps. Comparable volume-wise?

Comment

Working...
                                X