Peavey XXL impressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXL impressions?

The prospect of getting my ART head fixed is looking pretty grim, so I'm keeping my eyes open for replacements. I really need something with 2+ channels, high gain and a footswitchable effects loop. The Peavey XXL is one of the few amps that seems to fit those requirements, and after years of playing older gear, I'd kind of like to get something that isn't discontinued and hard to get serviced. I like tube tone, but I can't justify the expense right now, unless I find something for under $400 with the aforementioned loop footswitch.

I've owned other Peavey TransTube amps in the past (Express 112, Special 212) and was pretty happy with the tone at fairly low levels. Just looking for some input from XXL owners on how it handles higher volumes, quality of the loop (dull? quiet?), and overall reliability. I could get a good price on a Valve King, but I need loop switching for effects, which it doesn't have.
    sigpic

I didn't like it much when I tried it out a few years back, but then again, I don't really like the Peavey sound, so perhaps it's best to wait for Bill or one of the other JSX pushers to get here.
    Scott

Comment

Click Here for the last XXL thread.

Comment

Ah, I guess I should have looked for that thread, since I had posted in it. I wouldn't mind getting a little more feedback from people who have used an XXL live though. My Peavey gear in general has been extremely reliable - the most work I've needed was a replacement fan on my old Classic 60 power amp - but all of it was early `90s "vintage" or older.
        sigpic

Comment

Last amp I had was a Marshall 8100, you can find them cheap on Ebay. But, they are discontinued. XXL, I dont know.

Comment

The Carvin X100B has a footswitchable effects loop with a 3-position level switch. The later models have a lot more gain than the earlier ones too if you can get past the Ozite covering. And $300-$400 is a reasonable range on Ebay. Or if you got an earlier version you could resort to a switch, they handle pedals beautifully and have a wonderful clean channel.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I already made a post in that other thread, but I'll make a quick comment here... it does start to lose a little bit of clarity as the volume goes up, but not as badly as some amps I've played with.
              Reliability pretty much won't be an issue... except that if you get an older model on the footswitch it's a shitty piece of plastic but the newer model is better on that. Can't comment too much on the loop.. it did the job, but I don't have much of anything to compare it to.

Comment

I didn't like the XXL I was forced to play through a few times. You are better off with a Bandit 112.

Comment

Working...
                X