Any way to change effects loop level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to change effects loop level?

I've got a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head that I really dig, but the effects loop (it has two loops... series and parallel) seems to be line level and not instrument level. Is there any way to modify it from line to instrument level so it'll play nicer with pedals and not distort my sound, like a switch that could pad the level down a bit? There's an XLR input also on it, and that's got the level switch, I'm just surprised the loops don't have one.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

I'm surprised too Joe. Both my Blue Voodoo, and my B52 have adjustable loop line levels.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, my Blue Voodoo 60 also has the adjustable level.
      I don't use the loop all that often, but I'd like to use a delay or chorus once in awhile for some clean tones without having any nasty distortion added... and I think they sound like ass being used before the amp.

Comment

EbTech has a box called a Line Level Shifter. If I'm not mistaken, it SHOULD do what you need:

Morley, Makers of Guitar Pedal Effects, Switchers and Hum Solution Products. Click Here to See How Morley Can Help You.

I planned on getting one for my amp, for the same reasons. I use a Johnson J-Station for effects and tuner, and so long as I stay below "3.5", I'm fine. Anything above that, and I get tone suck, cause the J-Station is made with an instrument level input.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I know this seems "old school", but if you are using stomp boxes, have you tried using them in front of the amp? Some amps my not like it, but I've done some experimenting with chorus and delay stomps (Boss) in front of my Randall RM50. Since the sound of the effect is magnified greatly in this configuration, you can still get some usable tones this way by turning the level on each effect way down. Obviously its not going to sound like a G-Force, but it does sorta work, especially with clean tones.

I figured if they used to do it in the 60's through 80's, why wouldn't it work now?

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
            EbTech has a box called a Line Level Shifter. If I'm not mistaken, it SHOULD do what you need:

Morley, Makers of Guitar Pedal Effects, Switchers and Hum Solution Products. Click Here to See How Morley Can Help You.

I planned on getting one for my amp, for the same reasons. I use a Johnson J-Station for effects and tuner, and so long as I stay below "3.5", I'm fine. Anything above that, and I get tone suck, cause the J-Station is made with an instrument level input.
            That seems like it will work. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
              I know this seems "old school", but if you are using stomp boxes, have you tried using them in front of the amp? Some amps my not like it, but I've done some experimenting with chorus and delay stomps (Boss) in front of my Randall RM50. Since the sound of the effect is magnified greatly in this configuration, you can still get some usable tones this way by turning the level on each effect way down. Obviously its not going to sound like a G-Force, but it does sorta work, especially with clean tones.

I figured if they used to do it in the 60's through 80's, why wouldn't it work now?
              Yeah, I've tried that and don't really like the way it sounds. I'm using an H20 pedal at the moment (chorus and delay together) and there's no level control on the chorus. There is a level control for the delay, but it's just not really to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Yeah, I've tried that and don't really like the way it sounds. I'm using an H20 pedal at the moment (chorus and delay together) and there's no level control on the chorus. There is a level control for the delay, but it's just not really to my liking.
                Yeah, I can see that. It seems to work best that way for clean and mid gain tones. For high gain stuff, its only so-so.

Since I use a wah, tuner and OD in front, I'm always trying to find a way around buying a rack mount FX processor and MIDI controller. I don't want to have to lug all kinds of crap to gigs, especially since you rarely get much setup time.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/lls-2des.html
                  +1

I just bought one of those a couple weeks ago for this exact purpose.

Comment

How's it working out for you, Chad? Any drawbacks?
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Works like a charm! Not any drawbacks that I can hear.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I've got a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head that I really dig, but the effects loop (it has two loops... series and parallel) seems to be line level and not instrument level. Is there any way to modify it from line to instrument level so it'll play nicer with pedals and not distort my sound, like a switch that could pad the level down a bit? There's an XLR input also on it, and that's got the level switch, I'm just surprised the loops don't have one.
                        Why not just get a 1/4 to XLR cable?? Seems the cheapest way to go. You can make one cheaper than a new one. You can also get an adaptor thats 1/4 to XLR

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                          Why not just get a 1/4 to XLR cable?? Seems the cheapest way to go. You can make one cheaper than a new one. You can also get an adaptor thats 1/4 to XLR
                          Actually, the XLR is a direct out for going into a PA or something. How exactly would I utilize it for the effects loop?

Comment

That's not gonna do anything to buffer the effects loop level. All you're doing is adapting the connector type. Won't even alter it from unbalanced to balanced. That's what you need D.I. boxes for.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X