Vintage vs modern MXR pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage vs modern MXR pedals

I'm looking to build my up my MXR collection some more and wondering how much of a sound quality difference there is between the two.

Older ones are always better

Comment

Yeah, WTF is with the "vintage" thing?

I get the tube obsession, and some of the vintage stuff is legitimate, but c'mon it's gotten to where EVERYTHING is better if it's "vintage".

There have got to be some electronics where newer is better, right?

Let's say the EVH phaser, it has a button to make it equivilent to a script or a block, they each sound a little different, so the more flexible "new" EVH is better than an old script phaser, right?

The manufacturing of caps and resistors has to be more consistent nowdays, right? Aging resistors? I dont think so. Maybe the caps age, but then we replace them when they get too old.

Soooooo
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I owned a script Dis+ I used for years til it was pinched, loved it. I bought the re-issue and hated it, very harsh and brittle. The old one was warmer and smoother. I also tried the re-issue EVH and liked it very much in 'script' mode. Best thing of course is to try them out if you can!
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

From what I have seen, the Dist+ has some changes, including an added LED. I wonder what other changes they made?
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I saw some old ones at a guitar show one time. I hope they made it so th epaint doesnt fade to like mustard yellow As for differences, i always read the new ones sound "edgier", probably due to them having newer componets compared to the "worn-in/out" componets of the old ones. Personally, I love MXR stuff, I just think its a bit pricey compared to Boss stuff.
            Last edited by CharvelRocker; 01-18-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I will tell you the difference between vintage and modern MXR pedals.

The vintage ones are worth more money.

Thats it bro.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I always read about vintage this, magic mojo that and I don't have the oppurtunity to compare things side by side so I'll just trust peoples judgement here since I haven't been wronged.

Comment

Do the new ones have plastic or metal cases? The old micro amp doesn't have a power jack but had this little power cable dongel that plugged into the 9v clip and came out a little half circle hole int he base plate.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                    Do the new ones have plastic or metal cases? The old micro amp doesn't have a power jack but had this little power cable dongel that plugged into the 9v clip and came out a little half circle hole int he base plate.
                    Metal Cases

Comment

Not only metal cases, but they could be dropped from the Empire State Building and still work I'd wager

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                        Not only metal cases, but they could be dropped from the Empire State Building and still work I'd wager
                        I have a pretty old micro amp with barely any lettering left, lots of chips, a few dents, basically it looks like it has been through a war - and it works fine. Always has. I bought it from a guy around 15 years ago and he had it for a long time before that. I've had to repair a couple of my boss pedals but have never had to touch any of the mxr ones. I don't know anything about the circuits.

Comment

some of the vintage pedals are no longer made, so you're dealing with which pedal do you like better - i tend to agree that the script logo pedals sound better but lack some of the more up to date features

Comment

Working...
                          X