Solid state Carvin amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state Carvin amps?

I listened a bit to the sound clips they have, and couldn't make out enough to be persuaded since they decided to use effects on almost all the clips. Anybody have one? How do these things sound? I'm looking for good gain, and full lead tone. I have a Mp1/peavey50/50 setup for lead, and a mesa 50 Cal. for most rhythm sound, but I'm looking for a backup amp, and possibly new sound, in a head. Don't really give much of a shit about the effects, but a three channel 100 watt head sounds nice.

They are very solid state sounding. Reminds me alot of a SS Crate.

Comment

John, have you heard an SX300? I wonder if they're any different than the SX200s? I agree, those are pretty sterile sounding, though I've only heard the combos and not the heads. How much can you expect for $319 anyway though?
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, thats was my thought, but they sure hype it up enough as "tube sounding" on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
          John, have you heard an SX300? I wonder if they're any different than the SX200s? I agree, those are pretty sterile sounding, though I've only heard the combos and not the heads. How much can you expect for $319 anyway though?

Yes, I am totally familiar with the SX200's and the SX300's. They sound pretty much the same. The 300's have 3 channels. If you ever open up one of those heads you will be SHOCKED!!! There is literally NOTHING inside of the shell.
          They are very decent amps for home jamming but I would much rather have a Flextone or some other modeling amp for the same amount of money.
          Just don't expect to get "Tube Tone" because you won't.

Comment

Save your money. I don't know what Craig Anderton was smoking when he reviewed the SX series way back when. Because of his glowing words, I always wanted to try one and then I tried two and was in shock... HORRID tones! Get the new Line 6 Spider III Head that's $300 instead!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

The SX amps have been around since the X100Bs were introduced, and back in 1981 that sound WOULD have been a good tone for a solid-state amp, because they all sucked bad then. So almost 30 years later it's probably the same amp, other than the effects processor being added instead of reverb, but the world has passed it by.

I'm a fan of Carvin guitars and tube amps though, but the SX they can keep.
              Last edited by lerxstcat; 01-22-2007, 11:37 AM.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X