Epiphone Valve Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Valve Junior

How are these things? I'm looking for a simple tube amp, and this seems appealing. How is it tonewise? For the price this thing seems a little too good to be true...

For the price, how can you go wrong? It's a night at the bar, cost-wise. Buy it from MF and you have 45 days to try it and it was free if you return it.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I just got one actually. I like it a lot for a practice amp. When they first came out they had a bad noise or hum in the combo but not the head. They have that fixed now in the recent rev. If you are buying new you are fine but if you buy used get the one with two stripes instead of three.

The tone is good but is very 'middy' there are some easy mods to can do to add some more high end to it that improves it. It's similar to a champ type sound. I've only had it a couple weeks but I'm keeping it. It's great with my peddle board or the pod in front of it for high gain but I have been playing it clean a lot. You can get a pretty good power tube breakup if you turn it up over about half way.

At NAMM they just released a 12" extension cabinet to go with the head. The combo comes with a 8" speaker I think.

Comment

Hey CharvelRocker - I'm also looking for a cheap, low-watt tube amp and want to check out the epi. But I just learned of this yesterday:http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...AE+Royal+8.cfm
        Street price will probably be $199, $60 more than the epi, but I think the extra features (hi/low gain inputs, gain and tone controls, plus headphone out) are worth it. Once I find a shop that has both in, I'll try 'em out back-to-back and see.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

i really dig my valve jr for $99.
          it's got a nice clean tone and gets a pretty good semi distorted/nasally tone when pushed.
          it also sounds pretty good with a dirt pedal in front of it.
          can't complain for $99.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
            Hey CharvelRocker - I'm also looking for a cheap, low-watt tube amp and want to check out the epi. But I just learned of this yesterday:http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...AE+Royal+8.cfm
            Street price will probably be $199, $60 more than the epi, but I think the extra features (hi/low gain inputs, gain and tone controls, plus headphone out) are worth it. Once I find a shop that has both in, I'll try 'em out back-to-back and see.
            That has my attention.

Comment

I really like mine. Some of my buddies have them as well and they've all done mods to theirs. They're very easy to work with. I personally think that they sound like a Marshall plexi if they made a 5 watt plexi They are also very responsive to pedals.

Comment

Hey, you guys that have the epi, can you specify if you have the head or combo when you reply. Just curious, thanks!
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I have the combo.

Comment

How do these handle high gain overdrive pedals?

Comment

I have the head.

They seem to handle any pedal really well.

Comment

I have a head, crank it through a nice 2x12 cab and it will drive like a mother. It really has a decent amount of gain for a one pre-amp one power-amp 5 watt head. It also has a great clean sound.

It takes pedals well. You really can't go wrong for $99, a tube head for $99, where CAN you go wrong? Try it, you will like it.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Well tomorrow I'm gonn atry it and see about trading my Line6 for one. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I'm loving this thing

Comment

I think I am going for one also Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X