Clear All

• Compressors under $100

Here's what I've narrowed things down to based on price and HC reviews:

Danelectro DJ-9 Surf & Turf
    Digitech XMS Main Squeeze
    DOD FX84 Milk Box
    MXR M-132
    Rocktron Big Crush

The Rocktron looks the best to me. I'm looking to even out my tapping a bit. Is a compressor the answer or something else?
    Scott

Well, a compressor lessens the dynamics, so it might work out for you.

I´ve used the MXR Dynacomp or the comp side of a Visual Sound Route 66 for the last couple of years, so my vote goes to the MXR Supercomp.

Comment

I have been looking into this myself, a lot of guys at the Hamer board recommended the Guyatone mini one for a good inexpensive compressor...I think I am gonna shell out the bucks and get a Keeley if I end up getting one though...

Comment

If it's just to even out tapping, why not work on your technique a bit? A compressor used like that can be a hell of a crutch... I did that for a few years and really screwed my technique up.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          If it's just to even out tapping, why not work on your technique a bit? A compressor used like that can be a hell of a crutch... I did that for a few years and really screwed my technique up.

Pete
          Because this way is easier

I guess I'll hijack my own thread then and ask for tips on improving tapping technique. I find that the tapped note sounds clear and then any pull-offs after that are much weaker. Just FYI, the song I'm working on is Sea of Lies by Symphony X. There's tons of videos on YouTube of people playing it. I've managed to work up to about 100bpm (song is at 150bpm) but any tapping just sounds weak to me.
          Scott

Comment

Be sure when you tap that you are 'plucking' the string with your tapping finger when you come off the fretboard. If you go straight down and up, you lose string energy, if that makes sense. Also, a compressor on a tapped solo is going to be pretty difficult to keep extra noise at bay, from strings you aren't playing.

Pete

Comment

Damn...I thought I could get better by throwing money at it
              Scott

Comment

I dont like a lot of compression, but I've got a compressor in my FX loop. I've got the MXR SuperComp, and I leave it off the whole time. I guess because it's not 100% true bypass, it catches just a tiny bit of the electronics. Whatever it is, it sounds a lot clearer and punchier.

The MXR SuperComp... SO GOOD, I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO TURN IT ON!
                "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                Dimebag Darrell
                Chuck Schuldiner
                Cliff Burton

Comment

I would recommend anything by MXR. The Visual Sound Route 66 OD + Compressor is a pretty cool pedal too. You know what I think of my Milkbox :P Good if you're nto gonna use it with a lto of distortion, but otherwise it sucks. but I don't use it too often, so thats ok with me.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend a compressor. You will be fighting with too much noise inbetween your taps. Practice pulling off with your tapping finger.

Comment

I love my Dynacomp. However, I use it to squeeze the shit out of a clean signal when I am playing Rockabilly and "jazz", I also use it to shave dirt off of a distorted sound when I am going for super Gretsch twang. Different use than what you intend. Never use it with massive distortion.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

MF has a cheapy Arion for 9.99 today only!
                        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                        X