Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Riddle Me This Batman - Combos & Ext Cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Riddle Me This Batman - Combos & Ext Cabs?

Stupid question...

If I plug a cabinet into my my Carvin combo's speaker output, will sound only come from the cabinet's speakers? Or will I get output from both the combo's speakers and cab's speakers?

Apologies in advance for what is likely a very basic and dumb question. But, in all my years of playing guitar, I can't ever remember plugging a cab into a combo's speaker output. And I don't have an extension cab to try this out myself.

Generally... on SS combos, plugging in an external speaker defeats the internal speaker. On tube amps it doesn't.

Comment

Hard to say. Every Peavey combo I've owned would run both the internal and external speakers, but my brother's old Crate would switch off the internal speakers when he attached a cab.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, it's a tube combo. Not sure if that helps solve the riddle, though.

Comment

Usually if the combo's speaker is plugged into the back of the combo's "head" then both speakers will go. If it's hard-wired, then the combo speaker usually switches off.
          Scott

Comment

In my Peavey Classic 30, the internal speaker still runs when an external is attached.

J.

Comment

Just remember the Ohm's can change with the addition of another speaker or cab. With Mesa's you need to unplpug the internal speakers when adding an extension speaker.
              You can't unplug the internal speaker on my Marshall 800 combo. I guess they're all different.
              Strat God Music
              http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

My old Crate G120-C had a switch on it to turn off the internal speakers.
                I had the 2x12 combo with a 2x12 extension cab.
                Ran both at the same time just fine.

My Line 6 Spider II kills the internal speakers if I plug in an external speakers.
                -Rick

Comment

Strat God, thats not entirely true. I have a Mesa DC-5 combo...the internal speaker does not need to be unhooked. As long as you match total ohms of the internal speaker -and- for whatever cab you intend on using.

I've ran the amp with the internal speaker still active with a 1x12 widebody ext cab. I've also ran the internal speaker still active with an additional 4x12.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Seems they're all different, guys. The owner's manual was little help. So I e-mailed Carvin directly, and they got back to me very quickly.

With an extension cab, I'll get output from BOTH the amp & cab's speakers. And, yes, you must switch down to 4 ohms when adding a cab. So now my dilemma is adding a 2x or 4x.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
                      You can't unplug the internal speaker on my Marshall 800 combo. I guess they're all different.
                      Yeah, I can unplug mine.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
                        With Mesa's you need to unplpug the internal speakers when adding an extension speaker.
                        With my old F-30 combo, the internal speaker was plugged into the 8-ohm input. It also had two 4-ohm inputs, so I could plug two 8-ohm cabs into them with the internal speaker disconnected, or I could plug the internal speaker in one and an external cab in the other.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          With my old F-30 combo, the internal speaker was plugged into the 8-ohm input. It also had two 4-ohm inputs, so I could plug two 8-ohm cabs into them with the internal speaker disconnected, or I could plug the internal speaker in one and an external cab in the other.
                          Yeah, I had a F-50 that I had to unplug the internal-says the manual- before using an extention cab..............and a friend of mine also has an F-50 - and it automatically shunts the internal when you plug in!

Go figure. Clearly no set rule even with maufacturers.
                          Strat God Music
                          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Working...
                          X