Help with MARSHALL JMP-1 preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with MARSHALL JMP-1 preamp

Hey there, I just bought a Marshall JMP-1 tube preamp off ebay (havent got it yet) and Im wondering if anyone can help me out with the settings??? Im looking for a Criss Oliva/Savatage sounding tone and will be running my Charvel Predator through a Boss SD-1 (overdrive) and CE-2 (chorus) beforehand.

Thanx heaps!!!

You probably won't need the SD-1 in there, there's plenty of gain and drive to be had from the JMP-1. They are suprisingly straightforward to setup as well. Check the Marshall website to download the manual.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

NO.. stomps required!!!!!!!!! ..I nail Criss Ovliva's tone to the fucking cross. I got your PM bro. I was off for a week or three at home with the wife and having the fuggin' flu..we'll talk!

Bill Z Bub
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the JMP-1 works best with a 5881/6L6 poweramp IMO..preferably the old 9200, if not any "decent" poweramp will do ..such as a Peavey 120/120..60/60..and so on.

I must say I get the right kind of "ambience" for Savatage with my JFX-1 unit. It just sounds great for delays..I like it better than my G Major for simple slapbacks. better tone in general. I just read that Roy Z inisted on that both Preist and Maiden use that exact setup..

Preist was using Rocktron preamps during the "Ripper" Owens era..their tone is much better than that now..

Rocktron preamps are preety cool..but they do NOT sound like a Marshall in any way, shape or form. The JMP-1 certainly does!

I run a Marshall 9200 2/5881s / JMP-1 / JFX-1 and a BBE 422 into four 1960b (straight) Marshall cabs loaded with Celestion G12T-75's ..it does Savatage perfect, as well as other things!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'll post my settings if that will "help" put you in the ballpark.

Comment

Thanx! Yeah I couldnt afford a tube power amp so Ive just got a crappy transistor rack amp for now. If you could post your settings that would be awesome!

Also what are you using the JFX for? I still have one more slot in my rack but then again Ive got the Boss CE-2 which fucken rules for that Criss "strange wings" solo sound.

Comment

JMP-1 sounds like late model Savatage, like streets etc... Definitely not quite HOTMK era stuff really though.

JFX is a warm extremely simple (very limited) echo unit. Overpriced and totally not supported by Marshall repair at this point in time. Something goes wrong with the proprietary chip in it, and it's done. I'd probably not spend much money on one.

Comment

Working...
              X