Bogner vs. Carvin vs. Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner vs. Carvin vs. Mesa

I've decided I want to pick up another amp, but being in a rural area don't have access to too much.

I've tried the newer Stiletto from Mesa and I liked it as well as the F series. The gain tones on these were great-but I've never been a huge fan of the clean sound on any Mesa amp.

Folks have told me that the Bogner Shiva has an incredible clean sound as well as great dirt. Apparently, Shivas are also available with EL-84's. Some of these same folks have also told me that the Carvin Legacy is quite similar in tone to the Shiva, but for a lot less cash.

The funny thing is I'll probably buy one or the other, use it for a while, and end up just sticking with the Vetta.

Mesa's are expensive, I like the Carvin
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Trppy...the Bogner Shriva can be had with either 6L6 or EL-34 (not 84). I've played the 6L6 combo and I love that thing... and think the clean is better tha my Ecstasy's clean channel. The Mertopolis is an EL84 amp.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I tried a Shiva 6L6 four to five months ago, VERY impressed. Quality sounds right out of the box. I found the clean to be 3D like on my Rivera's. Like it a lot.
        Tried the Stiletto once and it left me unimpresssed, not bad, not bad at all but I was expecting more out of a Mesa.

However an Uber is on my sights now.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell View Post
          I've decided I want to pick up another amp, but being in a rural area don't have access to too much.

I've tried the newer Stiletto from Mesa and I liked it as well as the F series. The gain tones on these were great-but I've never been a huge fan of the clean sound on any Mesa amp.

Folks have told me that the Bogner Shiva has an incredible clean sound as well as great dirt. Apparently, Shivas are also available with EL-84's. Some of these same folks have also told me that the Carvin Legacy is quite similar in tone to the Shiva, but for a lot less cash.

The funny thing is I'll probably buy one or the other, use it for a while, and end up just sticking with the Vetta.
          I think the clean tone on the Stiletto is amongst the best clean tone I have ever heard from a high gain amp. It also has 2 modes. Tite and fat.
          The fat is absolutely outstanding.

Keep in mind.. I don't think any amp on the planet has better clean tones than the Vetta and the Vetta has several different ones that are all stellar.

Comment

After speaking with a friend who has tried the same Stiletto at the same store, he informed me that something is wrong with that particular amp (based off of playing another Stiletto at a shop in Atlanta).

I agree with you about the clean tones (and many of the other tones) in the Vetta. Have you messed with any of the Arman software mods for it?

Comment

I hope someone chimes in on the Carvin. I hate the fact you can't go somewhere and play one. I would really like to hear some Impressions. I'd like to play one myself.
              In this shootout I like the Bogner. Mesa Boogie you gott like em. There drive channels are some of the best around but there clean channel suffer. I never can get the type of clean out of it I would like to have. The Bogner Ubershall is the one I have played many times now and I'm taking to that amp. It's got great cleans(with some time spent on it) and the drive channel is smooth. I can get alot of use out of one of them. It's high on my list of amps I would buy next.
              I hope you get to try out a Legacy, the Carvins over the years always had my attention due to there killer catalogs.

Dan

Comment

Only Carvin I've had the chance to personally check out was an MTS3200 half stack, and I have to admit, I kinda dug it. I know, in the past, Carvin promoted them in their catalogs, as having the JCM800 tone (I noticed they no longer say that, in the catalogs. Hmm....). I wouldn't say that. It has a rather creamier, smoother tone to the lead channel than a JCM800. Had plently of gain for my liking. Only thing I didn;t like was the pop I was getting, when changing channels. Dude was selling it for $550. Sadly, the timing was all wrong, and my funds had to go elsewhere (my life's story!)
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Did you pull out the gain knob on the clean channel of the F-series? It's a pull bright pot, makes the cleans sound really great. I kinda miss my old F-30 combo.
                  The bright boost pot is not mentioned in the manual, and it's kind of hard to miss on the amp if you're not looking for it.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There is a Mesa dealer fairly close to home that I haven't visited yet. I am going to try and hit them next week and try out the Stiletto and the F series again. There is also the new express series that looks interesting.

Comment

I don't really like the Shiva's dirty tone. The Shiva's clean tone is EXCELLENT however, so is the Carvin Legacy's. Difference is though that there is SO much headroom on the Carvin that it will NOT distort without a pedal (or an DiMarzio X2N ). I like the Carvin's dirty channel more. Most people that compare the Legacy to a Bogner, compare it to an Ecstasy but, I think comparing it to a Shiva is more accurate.

Clean goes to Shiva (because it is more versatile)
                      Dirty goes to Legacy

I don't really like the F-Series.
                      I liked the Stiletto Trident that I owned for a bit. Different flavor though and ultimately not my style (too Marshally).
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

One thing to consider is Carvin's fairly generous return policy if you don't like it: http://www.carvin.com/mbg.php. Beat on it for 10 days, if you don't like it, send it back. You do have to pick up shipping though.

That being said, I went to their 60th Anniversary party. Watching MacAlpine and Vai just KILL it for an hour (along with maybe a couple hundred others in their parking lot!) made me almost lay down a couple grand for a Legacy and a California Carved Top right there on the spot!
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I ended up picking up an Mesa F-50.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I kinda miss my old F-30 combo.
                            I miss mine, too. It had a tone all it's own. The cleans were great with a strat and the dirty was downright mean. I'll probably pick another one up someday.
                            Cheers!

Comment

I ended up picking up an Mesa F-50.
                              Smart move! You won't be disappointed.

It's a loud beast, though...if you end up thinking it's too loud, try the F-30. Let us know how you like it, when you've had a chance to play with it.
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X