• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or a full stack!!!

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

1/2 stack.
      I have a 5150 combo and a B-52 At 100 combo and I never run either one of them thru the combo speakers, the 4X12 cab sounds way better (even at low volumes) the sound is just much bigger and fuller.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
        1/2 stack.
        I have a 5150 combo and a B-52 At 100 combo and I never run either one of them thru the combo speakers, the 4X12 cab sounds way better (even at low volumes) the sound is just much bigger and fuller.
        You should have just bought the heads Nick. Those combos weigh a friggin ton.

Comment

Half all the way! They sound better than any other combination of amps you put together! Unless you have two halfs!! Most halfs nowadays can be played at low volumes anyway!
          Last edited by sl2lover; 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM.
          I love admins!

Comment

i was thinking about the same thing, i am torn........... i actually more of my day thinking about this that anyhing else, but if i do get the half stack it will have to be one of those cheapy half stacks like a crate or something
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

zeegs how those THINGS sound?!?!?!?!?? thay look awesome
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

As others have said, it's gotta be a half stack - you can't beat a 4x12....ideally two...or four . Was lucky enough to be able to do a comparison with a 5150 head into 2 4x12, then 1 4x12, then 1 2x12 - the sound just got worse each time.

The other guitarist in my band went from a 4x12 to a 2x12 but soon switched back. Me, I've been using a Marshall 4x12 for the last 12 years (with DSL head) but the valvestate cab with no wheels, sounds the same to my ears as the standard Marshall but is a bit smaller so fits in the car easier.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  You should have just bought the heads Nick. Those combos weigh a friggin ton.
                  I know, I'm seriously thinking about trading in both my combos towards a JSX head.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Dude... get a half stack. First, it is going to sound a lot better. Second, it will be more scaleable then just a basic 2x12 system unless you go for something like a Genz-Benz GFlex 2x12 for your cab. Third, if it is a little too loud for your taste, get a hotplate.

Major thing here. Make sure you shop around when getting your cabinet and ask questions around here and sit and play infront of these cabs for a while and test them out at higher volumes to make sure they can handle your tone incase you want to take them to that level. Most places will be willing to throw you in a room if you are serious about buying. And fuggem if they give you shit. I was at a store, called them ahead of time to let them know that I needed to try stuff out and at louder volumes. The manager flipped me a little shit and I flipped it right back at him. Nice thing was that they stuck me in the high end room with a triple rectifier and a oversized cab. I was sold after that and payed them. Guitar Center was very accommodating when I let them know that I was going to come in and turn it up. They had a room waiting for me with all the different stuff that I wanted to try. I wish they sold boogie at that store. I would have bought it in a second. But, props to them for actually having some good customer service. Tried out JSX, VHT, Peavey, Marshall cab flavors. VHT oversized was second to the Boogie cabs. Boogie just has a way more fluid bottom end.

-Nate
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

1/2 stack! especially__________ if it's going to be mostly at home.A lot of us look into the combos for the ease of loading in and out of gigs and space requirements on stage and then we end up buyin' all kinds of sh-t to try and make it sound full like a 1/2 stack or more.

Comment

I agree, Ive have both a combo and a half stack and I havent used the combo in longer than I can remember, should have picked up a second half stack instead of the combo.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                          i was thinking about the same thing, i am torn........... i actually more of my day thinking about this that anyhing else, but if i do get the half stack it will have to be one of those cheapy half stacks like a crate or something
                          One piece of advice: buy a used cab. I have never bought a new cabinet, and never will. Used cabs have the speakers already broken in, and already sound how they will always sound. Used cabs are about 1/2 the price of new. Don't cheap out and buy a new budget cab. Make sure it's made of plywood, and not shit particle board. Also don't think your head and cab need to match.

I would recommend these Jackson cabs to anyone if you come across them. I really like them.

Comment

i am really hesitant to use the shit-bay...... i don't even want to sell on there, much less buy. i am wanting a cab, that has tight low end, nice and punchy...... i hate to say it, but like metallica low end...............i know, i know every one and their mother has used that comparison. any recommendations. and hell how about a SS head to go with it, has to have a least a 100 watts, but i don't want something that will fall apart, $400 is the limit, throw your USED recommendations at me

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                              i am really hesitant to use the shit-bay...... i don't even want to sell on there, much less buy. i am wanting a cab, that has tight low end, nice and punchy...... i hate to say it, but like metallica low end...............i know, i know every one and their mother has used that comparison. any recommendations. and hell how about a SS head to go with it, has to have a least a 100 watts, but i don't want something that will fall apart, $400 is the limit, throw your USED recommendations at me

Ya can't go wrong with a Marshall cab..they look good with just about anything and most people want or like them. You'll never get "stuck" with a Marshall cab..they're classic and hold their value as long as you don't beat it up.

For half stacks I like slant cabs (1960a)..for full stacks I like all straight cabs (1960b).
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i was thinking of line 6 cabs they come with celestions and are relatively cheap on the Bay, how about heads

Comment

Working...
                                X