Basement amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement amp

I need to replace my 20 year old Creat amp. I have been looking at 2, the Line 6 Sypder3 and the Fender G-Dec. Anyone have either of these and want to give me some imput.
    Please don't tell me I need a tube amp.

My current at home rig is a pod xt live in front of an epiphone valve jr combo. It's that small 5 watt tube amp with only a volume. I know you said don't say you need a tube amp but this thing is around $100 and really warms up the pod - plus it's really quiet and if I want to play clean I just plug straight in. You are already looking at line 6 stuff so thought it might be one alternative to the spyder. I like having the pod to take over to people's houses and plugging into whatever amp they have sitting around.

I re-did the eq for the output setting on the pod for this amp so I didn't have to redo it for all my presets. I'm happy with it for when I don't want to wear the headphones. It sounds pretty good with a metal zone in front of it as well, but you really need the eq of the metal zone for that to work. I rarely play either of those setups even close to loud.

Comment

You need a tube amp. In fact you need a stack. Nothing else will suffice.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Spyder 3 is better than the Fender. The Roland Cube 30 is better than the Spyder 3. You could also get a used Flextone. Vox makes nice modeling amps too.
        If you don't want to go for a modeling amp you should look at a used Peavey Bandit 112. Great amp and super cheap used. You could play in your basement or at a gig with a loud drummer with one no sweat. Bulletproof too.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          You need a tube amp. In fact you need a stack. Nothing else will suffice.
          You can try and talk my wife in to it. If you can you will be the man.
          JG thanks I will look into the other amps listed.

Comment

I would reccomend the SpierIII with all the presets and song tones and crap. They sound a lot better than the old IIs, and are really nice.

Comment

Anyone with the Spyder 3 have any problems? I read about the problems the sypder 2 had, and hope they fixed them in the 3s.

Comment

I recommend the Vox Valvetronix series of amps over any Line6 model short of the Vetta. Just an overall more tube-like sound.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X