JSX -- where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX -- where to buy?

Ok, I've decided on getting the head version of this amp. But here is my situation. I see these things go for typically $700-900 on ebay, with some higher, some lower in new condition. So, regardless of what a dealer WANTS to sell it for, to me this is really the true value of these amps. Yes, I realize that it is used but I can see paying an extra $400 just to have it only worth $800 as I walk out the door. It's just like cars, however, there are car dealers that work with volume and can offer some decent deals. Does anyone know of a shop that willing to 'negotiate' a decent price? They don't have to be local just willing to give me a good deal.

thanks!

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Matts Music is adding the Peavey line, so shoot him an email. Also, Tristeramps has one that was just listed in the classifieds.

Comment

pete's got one in the classifieds at the moment...
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You're probably not going to walk out a music store door with one under a grand new: Best price I could negotiate was $1,050 and that was before Peavey did the price increase on the JSX heads. They did sell for $800 through Musicians Friend when they first came out, but you're not going to see that again. Unfortunately when you buy gear new, the value plummets. This is why I almost always buy gear and cars used: Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Also, when you buy an amp or guitar used, they might have done something to it for added value - change the pickups out for better ones, straplocks, or in my case, put the right tubes that should have been in the amp to begin with (6L6s)

Pete

Comment

I remeber that Pete..I still have some old MF catalogs.

Good advice, get a nice used one..GREAT amp!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I bought mine for $750 shippied a few years back. But that was when everyone was saying they were junk.

Comment

Originally posted by sworn_enemy View Post
              I bought mine for $750 shippied a few years back. But that was when everyone was saying they were junk.

anyone that can even say those amps are "junk" have ZERO credibility to me..just for the record.

I owned , tweaked and upgraded tubes in my beloved Uberschal since 2002. I have not been more impressed with ANY amp like I was with the JSX for many years...not since the dawn of the 5150.

Even with my Uberschal, after spending a great deal of time playing with the JSX I wanted to take it home.

If I didn't have my Bogner I would have a JSX sitting here...no doubt!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The only prob with this is all you bastards with cheap jsx's run 110v!!

Gonna have to buy new so its gonna run me au$2.4k, hopefully a little less though. Ouch thats ~$1850us.......the retail here converts to over $2300us!!

Shipping to aus for these things would be brutal, but id still be almost a grand in front, then Id need a voltage convertor for a couple hundred (although I have one) but the frequency would be 50hz instead of 60hz.

After playing one though I have to have one!!! Damn you JCF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  anyone that can even say those amps are "junk" have ZERO credibility to me..just for the record.

I owned , tweaked and upgraded tubes in my beloved Uberschal since 2002. I have not been more impressed with ANY amp like I was with the JSX for many years...not since the dawn of the 5150.

Even with my Uberschal, after spending a great deal of time playing with the JSX I wanted to take it home.

If I didn't have my Bogner I would have a JSX sitting here...no doubt!!

If I remember correctly there quite a few people here who said the JSX was garbage which I really couldn't understand. I liked mine when I had it. It was my 3rd favorite amp so far.

Comment

I think the early ones had Grid problems running hot EL34`s or something and they changed that. Also, the Noise Gaites on the originals weren`t as good as the newer ones as I have heard. Jack.

Comment

The real value of a new amp is what the dealer is selling it for new.

The real value of a used amp is what people are willing to pay for it.

There are alot of advantages of buying new.
                      There are alot of advantages of buying used.

Just because you can buy a JSX used for $800 on Ebay doesn't devalue what a new one sells for.

Think about it this way:
                      If you went into a car dealership and the sticker price on a new car you were looking at was $20K but they had the exact same used one with 12K miles on it that was 1 year old for $15K does that mean the dealer is ripping you off for 5K on the new car?? Does it mean that actual value of the new car is not 20K but rather 15K?? Nope.
                      You pay a premium when you buy something new because its NEW!!!
                      You also get a warranty most of the time and distributor, dealer and maybe even manufacturer support. Many times you get a return policy.
                      Its also nice to know that all the "miles" you are putting on your amp are YOUR miles. There is something to be said about that.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                        I think the early ones had Grid problems running hot EL34`s or something and they changed that. Also, the Noise Gaites on the originals weren`t as good as the newer ones as I have heard. Jack.
                        No, I mean people were saying they sounded like crap. This was long after the gates were addressed. The screen grid issue was with the XXX. That happened because people were listening to Bob from from Eurotubes and running E-34L's which the amp wasn't designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                          I'm in the market for a used one too. In order to get a "newer" one with the most recent updates, what MFG date should I be looking for???? How do you tell???

I was just at Sam Ash tonight in San Antonio where they had a few Peavey heads including the JSX and XXX, but unfortunately the customer service sucked as usual and I didn't try one out. This just made me realize that particular head could have been sitting in their store for over a year and could be an older model...so it would be nice to know how to tell when it was made.
                          E = Fb

Comment

I understand the 'new' and 'used' value principle. All I saying is that in the past, I've been able to use this information to help negoitate a better price on things. When the used value of something is close to the new price, then you're outta luck. I've purchased 2 cars new from two different dealer and I used the 'it's worth LESS as soon as I drive it off the lot'. I had material and enough information to prove fact. Now, I didn't get my cars at the same used price but I was able to get them both at about 7% under invoice. But then, maybe those cars were going for 10% under invoice and I was taken on the deal.

I don't mind used.

joe...
                            www.godwentpunk.com
                            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

As for cars, there's usually a $2k cushion under invoice for a car around 20-25k. (I'm not counting any manufacturer's discounts, etc.). I've managed to talk a guy down well under invoice once. I thought I'd slammed hom the deal. And then I went home and read that the manufacturer was offering a dealer's discount (i.e. an incentive for the dealer only) of $1k. So my $1.5k under invoice was really only $500k, and the lot still made well over $3k on the car.

But, they deserve to make that money, after all. That's why they're in business.

Comment

Working...
                              X