New to tube amps, 5150 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to tube amps, 5150 Problem

Hey guys, so I got my 5150 on Saturday, used it at band practice for the first time today, sounds killer! HOWEVER, I noticed that if I run the Pregain higher than 4 and have the Postgain at 5 or more, I get this loud horrendous squealing sort of like feedback but not feedback sound, I almost thought it might have been radio interference but I'm not sure? It happened even when I didn't even have my guitar plugged into the input jack, let alone turning my guitar volume off like you normally would to kill feedback. I tried running a noise gate in the loop and it made absolutely no difference at all even with the settings CRANKED so that it would barely even let my guitar through. So either this is some magical noise that dances past a noise suppressor or the source of it is coming after the FX loop. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've never owned a tube amp before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It doesn't happen on the clean channel, just the lead channel, and as I said only with pregain at 4+ and post gain at 5+. Any help at all would be appreciated! I figure maybe it's a power tube or something? I don't know, the tubes have very little play on them but the amp hasn't really been used much in the past 2 years. What do you guys think?

Microphonic power tube. Replace.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Could also be a preamp tube. Get the amp right on the edge of feeding back (but not quite) and tap each tube lightly. The offender should squeal like the guy in deliverance.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        Could also be a preamp tube. Get the amp right on the edge of feeding back (but not quite) and tap each tube lightly. The offender should squeal like the guy in deliverance.

Pete
        Yepper, that happened to me a few times through the years ..a quick fix. I wonder what five Tung Tols would sound like in that sumbitch..it would be assuredly beefier, darker and even more bottom end...but maybe too much, but who knows.

I had to replace the two Sovtek 12ax7s in my JMP-1 a couple years ago..I wonder what Tung Sols would sound like in that sumbitch too...Nah, that amp sounds good with that Marshall midrage "cut"..I wouldn't want to alter that really.

But they do rule in my Bogner!!

just thinkin'...
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Awesome guys thanks...What do you guys recommend I put in the amp tube wise? I have no idea what brand to buy or where the best place to buy them is... What do people generally use with these amps?

Comment

The offender should squeal like the guy in deliverance.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Pete
              +1. I had my Marshall do that to me when I got it. Apparently the shipping process took its toll on the tube in question. I used an ink pen to tap each one. And trust me you do know when you hit the right one. I didn't even have to turn up that loud either.

Comment

Working...
              X