No announcement yet.

Soldano SLO, price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez,,,have to bite here. Well, with my former G12-T75 speakers in my Marshall cab.....I set the overdrive gain to about 6, the treble to about 3, the bass to 4, and the mids to 2. The presence from 1 to 4 or so....depending on the guitar. However, since switching to Eminence GB128 speakers,,which are way more toneful and warm .....I may tweak the above settings. The SLO can be a very bright amp, so go sparingly on the tone controls. This is not an amp where you start with everything on 5. The tone controls are very responsive, and I think this throws a lot of people who try it out and assume they need to crank the tone controls for them to work. Not so on this amp. I just use the stock 5881 tubes, and whatever preamp tubes Soldano put in there. I'm telling you,,,,if you never played an SLO before,,,,,,it is tonal bliss, pure nirvana (and I don't mean the band) Oh,,,,and I use mine with a Marshall 1960A cab with the eminence GB128's,,,and the TC electronic Gmajor in the loop.....which is incredibly transparent,,,,and has a relay to turn your SLO into basically a midi preamp....every program will switch your amp to the correct channel. There are many SLO players I know of who have had great luck with the Gmajor in the loop. VERY TRANSPARENT,,,if set up properly. Oh wow,,,,just wait till you hear the harmonically luscious overdrive on this amp......so thick and dripping with tone. My first words were "liquid tone factor." Unreal.
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Nice score Dana. I say whatever you do pair it with a 4x12 (old Marshall/Bogner etc) with whatever speakers your ears currently prefer and take it from there. I personally would not get a Soldano cab. Out of the 5 4x12's I have, the Soldano is my least favorite one. I dunno why, it has V 30's and I like V30's, maybe because its a front loaded cab or the construction of the cab, the wood is about 1/2 as thick as other 4x12's. The cab doesn't sound like crap, just not as nice as my other cabs.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks to Shawn and lynchfan.

I've been looking around quite a bit for a decent Marshall cab. It looks like the older ones are way out of this world pricewise. I'm not even talking vintage, but even 1980s cabs are through the roof. You can find them in my price range ($500) from the last several years. Bogners are just rare. I guess I can sit on the head for awhile until I find the cab I need, but obviously I'll be itching to start ASAP.

I'm thinking that a Mesa Cab Straight profile may be a good choice if I just have to have a cab. I'd also like to try the greenbacks and/or Eminence model, but since this combo with a decent cab is even more rare these days, I'd have to send the cab out again, and that's going to be too much hassle. So I'll be looking for v30s.

Comment

If you are not really concerned that the cab matches the head, I would go with a avatar cab ( http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ ) and get a 4x12 with either greenbacks or the hellatone 30's. The hellatone 30's are celestion G12H30's (30 watters) that avatar breaks in for you by suspending the magnet.

Just in case you didnt know the G12H30's are a mix between a greenback and a V30's. check out celestion website for more info.

Originally posted by danastas View Post
          Thanks to Shawn and lynchfan.

I've been looking around quite a bit for a decent Marshall cab. It looks like the older ones are way out of this world pricewise. I'm not even talking vintage, but even 1980s cabs are through the roof. You can find them in my price range ($500) from the last several years. Bogners are just rare. I guess I can sit on the head for awhile until I find the cab I need, but obviously I'll be itching to start ASAP.

I'm thinking that a Mesa Cab Straight profile may be a good choice if I just have to have a cab. I'd also like to try the greenbacks and/or Eminence model, but since this combo with a decent cab is even more rare these days, I'd have to send the cab out again, and that's going to be too much hassle. So I'll be looking for v30s.

Comment

Siggy, I've heard some negative reviews of the avatar cabs. Not enough bottom end, etc. I'm wondering if you've heard of anything like that, or can speak to any of the negativity.

Comment

Oh, one more question. If I already have a 2x12 with v30s, and I want to stack it with another cab, do I have to go with another 2x12? Or could I go 1x12?

Im thinking of mixing my v30 cab with a mesa black shadow cab. I realize they also do 2x12 mesa 3 quarter cabs, but they are harder to find.

Black Shadow plus V30 = ?
              Last edited by danastas; 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I have never found a 2x12 I have liked with the SLO and have tried many, even a GFlex which I was sure I'd like. I think I am stuck on Marshall Cabinets with Greenbacks in them.

Maybe you could take your SLO into a GC or other store during a slow time and try it with a few different ones?
                www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

That will turn some heads........you'll probably have a crowd around you gawking at the mighty amp in your possession.

Comment

Working...
                  X