No announcement yet.

Marshall DSL 401 problem. Help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to ask Bryan - how are you digging that Fuzz Face I modded?

Pete

Comment

That's the one I'm talking about.

To be honest, I wasn't so sure about it at first. Even though it was modded, it still had a "rough" sound to it. But now that I've fooled around with it a bit I really dig it. Putting the BK Tube Driver in front of it was the best thing I could have done. It smooths out the "edgeiness" of the FF and really kicks it into a zone that I like. Like I said, I'm so happy with it now I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the Marshall entirely.

Do you remember what mods were done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
        That's the one I'm talking about.

To be honest, I wasn't so sure about it at first. Even though it was modded, it still had a "rough" sound to it. But now that I've fooled around with it a bit I really dig it. Putting the BK Tube Driver in front of it was the best thing I could have done. It smooths out the "edgeiness" of the FF and really kicks it into a zone that I like. Like I said, I'm so happy with it now I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the Marshall entirely.

Do you remember what mods were done to it?
        I put sockets for the transistors on the PCB, and bought a matched set of NOS germaniums for it. There are two pots on the board that you can use to bias the transistors - just be careful, since there are two it's easy to get 'lost'. But tweaking those two can yield all sorts of tones with it, from sputtery to real nice and smooth.

Fuzzes are pretty simple circuits, I keep thinking about building and selling a few. The main thing is to have a way to tweak the transistors and to use good old transistors instead of whatever is available, which is what Dunlop did on those.

Pete

Comment

Working...
        X