Peavey 6505?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505?

I want to buy a tube head. I'm thinking about this one. I like to have metal tones, but to have just enough versatility to pull off whatever else I need. Will this do the job or is there something better in this range? ($1000 - $1200) thanks amp experts

If you've heard/played a 5150, it's the same thing. If you're looking for versatile, I'd look elsewhere, personally. There's a lot of stuff you could probably snag used for that range, but others would know better than me.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I'm thinking the PEavey JSX might be a good unit to examine in the used market.

Comment

thre 6505/5150
        have horride cleans ive heard.
        they are only good for dist.

so versititility?? mhm

Comment

so... maybe the JSX or the XXX?
          Last edited by DCZX; 02-03-2007, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I guess the question I want to ask before answering is this, what type of metal are you talking about? It will help alot more in guiding you to the right amp.

Originally posted by DCZX View Post
            I want to buy a tube head. I'm thinking about this one. I like to have metal tones, but to have just enough versatility to pull off whatever else I need. Will this do the job or is there something better in this range? ($1000 - $1200) thanks amp experts

Comment

Well, I like to be able to play shred solo's, but I also like a death rhythm tone. Opeth, Unearth, etc. I'm also looking at the Valveking... not sure where to go...

Comment

I would go with either a used mesa Dual or triple 3 channel rec, just remember to get a tube screamer or some kind of boost stomp to tighten it up for soloing.

Another good choice would be a used 5150II or a new or used 6505+. Same amp of course, just different name, you can probaly get a used 5150II for around 700 to 800 on ebay, maybe even cheaper.

Comment

I'd recommend an ENGL Fireball over a Peavey.

Comment

An ENGL Fireball is a completely different amp than a 5150... there's almost nothing in common. Totally different sound and vibe.

I'd go with a 5150 over any ENGL but a Savage 120, and for that price, I could get a 5150 and JSX, and not have to worry about a Savage.

Comment

I have also heard, like Marshalls the ENGL's suffer from cheap production, meaning they use cheap components, yeah they sound good, but a amp is only as good as it is reliable.

The 5150's and the 6505's are some well built amps for the price and worth every penny.

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post
                      An ENGL Fireball is a completely different amp than a 5150... there's almost nothing in common. Totally different sound and vibe.

I'd go with a 5150 over any ENGL but a Savage 120, and for that price, I could get a 5150 and JSX, and not have to worry about a Savage.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post

Most people buy the 5150/6505 to play metal. So I should have stated that that was my assumption. I've owned a 5150, a 6505+ and a 6505 with bias/clarity mod from FJA Mods. While I really liked those amps (6505+ the best), I personally think the ENGL is a better choice for metal. It is tighter, has more clarity (no can of bees tone like the Peavey) and not as common in the US - so you won't sound like everyone else. I wouldn't buy a Fireball if I wasn't playing metal.

As for ENGL build quality. I've seen the gut shots and they are not pretty. But I don't read alot bad things about them falling apart either. For its price, I think the tone is pretty damn good. I currently own a Fireball (along with a Diezel Herbert and a Bogner Uberschall) but I also owned the more versatile powerball and hated it.
                        Last edited by mhenson42; 02-04-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X