Any thoughts on a new amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on a new amp?

Ok, I currently am using a Vox AD30VT and cant stand the sound. I have also tried a Marshall MG100DFX and a Roland Cube 30. I only play at home and occasionally go next door to the neighbors and play with them. Sometime in the near future I will probably play at church as well. I am looking to spend less than $1200.00 and I am not concerned with a ultra clean sound. I am really looking for something that I can play around the house at lower volumes and with a band if needed later. 80's metal is what I play. I am leaning towards a JSX, but there might be some other combo that I dont know about out there. Believe it or not, I am currently playing through a Rage 158 with a Digitech Genesis 3 in front for modeling, LOL. My ears are dying. Please help me..........
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

80s metal? Marshall.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

The only way I got the vavletronix to sound good was with a TS-808 in front of it. An EQ pedal may work. For around the house the PODxt Live with a keyboard/fullrange amp and speaker works ok. Lots of stuff to play around with. Let me say, I prefer tube amps to anything. Problem is, they are generally pretty loud. Good luck.

I do want to try one of those mini colossals.

You can find JCM900/50 pretty cheap. They have a half power switch to 25 watts.
      sigpic

Comment

+1 on the JSX combo.
        I have the B-52 At 212 combo, and that would fall in your price range as well. it's a pretty versatile amp, but it's voiced more for modern metal, but well worth checking out. I absolutely love mine.(my other amp is a 5150 combo and I love that as well, check one of those out too.)
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I played a B-52 112 combo. I thought it sounded good. I was concerned about reliabilty. How long have you had yours? I thought it did 80's metal fairly well.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm personally a Mesa man but that'd be pushing your alotted budget. I've been playing in Church for the past several years and the best amp I've found for that is a Line 6 Flextone 1 or 2. I've used both and they both worked great for any situation. I used the Flextones for years before I got my Mesa and the Flextones definately worked better for Church. If you don't like the amp modeling sand want a tube amp then I recommend trying out the new Traynor series tube amps. They smoke and won't break your wallet!

Comment

Grab a THD Univalve and an Avatar 212 cabinet. It sounds killer, you can experiment with a nearly infinite combination of tubes, it's reliable and it's a little off the beaten path.

Comment

Originally posted by S-man View Post
                I played a B-52 112 combo. I thought it sounded good. I was concerned about reliabilty. How long have you had yours? I thought it did 80's metal fairly well.
                I've had mine for about a year and 1/2 with zero problems, the early ones had a lot of QC issues but they seem to have gotten their shit together now.
                I always run a fan on mine, they get really hot, and I retubed mine with a tung sol in V1,V2 and high gain JJ's the rest of the way and JJ's in the Power tubes.
                an MXR 10 EQ in the loop and you've got lots of firepower and a good wide range of tones for short money. run it thu a Marshall cab loaded with greenbacks and it sounds great.
                If you go that route, get the GC extended warranty to cover your ass, and don't take a show room model ,ask for a new one in the box.
                I'd a/b it agaisnt the JSX combo and pick one of those (if versatility is what you need) dime the master volume and control the volume from the channel (it really opens up this amp)
                I'm also a huge fan of the JSX and may be getting one sometime soon. I also don't gig so mine doesn't move (you need to take that into consideration if you're worried about reliability isues)
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Used Vetta?

Comment

I was also considering a Flextone possibly. I think the Vetta would be too much. I would need to find a b52 dealer around here. There is probably one in KC or I could go to MF warehouse.
                    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                      Ok, I currently am using a Vox AD30VT and cant stand the sound. I have also tried a Marshall MG100DFX and a Roland Cube 30. I only play at home and occasionally go next door to the neighbors and play with them. Sometime in the near future I will probably play at church as well. I am looking to spend less than $1200.00 and I am not concerned with a ultra clean sound. I am really looking for something that I can play around the house at lower volumes and with a band if needed later. 80's metal is what I play. I am leaning towards a JSX, but there might be some other combo that I dont know about out there. Believe it or not, I am currently playing through a Rage 158 with a Digitech Genesis 3 in front for modeling, LOL. My ears are dying. Please help me..........
                      You play 80s metal in CHURCH???

Comment

I've got a flextone III kicking around. It's a great amp for live stuff, and worked great running straight to the board at church. I just never play the thing. I play my Mesa Lonestar exclusively and really only got the Flextone as a backup so I'll most likely sell it. If you're looking to play modern worship type music you really can't go wrong with a flextone.

Comment

JVM-210C would do the trick nicley.... It's a 100 Watt, 2 channel combo.... and it's a Marshall! Another one that I played through the other day was the Orange Tiny Terror.... It was somewhat limited, but it sounded good.
                          Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                            I was also considering a Flextone possibly. I think the Vetta would be too much. I would need to find a b52 dealer around here. There is probably one in KC or I could go to MF warehouse.
                            Check out my videos...all using the Flextone ...its a really good amp for home use and I have also used it for jam sessions. Its packed with effects and the foot board has a pedal for volume/wah.

It doesnt come close to tube sound but it sounds pretty good and is perfect for home.

The White Lightening solo is the best example of the Flextone.
                            High quality gear clips and reviews of amps and guitars. Look here for Suhr, Cameron, Friedman, Bogner, EVH, Marshall and more!

Peace

Alex

Comment

Get a flextone 1-2-3 and change the stock speakers. The XLR outs will make you a great friend with the sound guy at church...

Comment

Working...
                              X