No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on a new amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend that you also try some Riveras. The Chubster might be what you are looking for. But if you can find something like an M-60 1x12, I think you might really like that as it's incredibly versatile. Get the Rivera-suggested tone settings for your test drive and I think you'll find some great clean and dirty tones. (Hint: try the "Plexi" setting, dial up the gain just a bit and I think you'll have your '80's rock/metal tone.) A used M-60 1x12 should be well under your $1200 limit.

I've used my M-60 at a few different churches and it works very well with nice, tube clean tones and great overdrive tones, too. I use a Palmer or an old Cab-Tone D.I. box to go into the P.A. though the amp has plenty of power to fill the sanctuaries I've played at.
    Last edited by fuel0707; 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by kokostrollet View Post
      You play 80s metal in CHURCH???
      Check out this guy: Brad

The guy is pastor in Pennsylvania and his love is '80's rock/metal. He's put out about half a dozen instrumental and vocal discs. Really good guy and player, too.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I'll give my 2 cents for the Mesa 5:50 Express, I was looking for the more subdubbed 80's distortion also. It has unreal reverb, and when switching to the 5 watt class A mode, clean is cleaner than clean can be clean! Shimmering!!!!! The burn channel is where I do most of my playing, sound great without being buzzy and fuzzy like the 'new' metal. It comes with a Vintage 30 in the 1x12 and I paid exactly 12 for it!
        Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
        Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
        Fender Telecaster Standard MM
        Jackson Dinky DKMGT
        Jackson Stealth EX
        Charvel 375
        Ibanez Daytripper
        OLP Musicman
        Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
        Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

Find one of the Johnson 150 combos. If I had the cash I'd be looking for one myself.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Carvin V3. It's 100/50 watt all tube head with midi. You can run a Pod or other effects via the FX loop (for your chorus/delay/reverb) and control the channels and loops with its midi. Works great, all tube, and the FX loops (2 of them) are serial and parallel. It's really a great deal @ $899 (head). I think the combo with 2x12s is $1200. Search youtube or checkout the carvin site for sound clips. oh and it does sound good at lower levels although not much difference between running 100 or 50 watts.
            Last edited by z1n; 02-03-2008, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Engl makes several combos you can get for $1200 or less.

A Randall RM50 combo would be very cool too.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                Grab a THD Univalve and an Avatar 212 cabinet. It sounds killer, you can experiment with a nearly infinite combination of tubes, it's reliable and it's a little off the beaten path.
                The Avatar stuff is smokin!! great stuff at a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell View Post
                  Used Vetta?
                  +1

you'd get all you need and more with a Vetta, and you can get a used combo for like 800 on the Bay.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Shibs View Post
                    JVM-210C would do the trick nicley.... It's a 100 Watt, 2 channel combo.... and it's a Marshall! Another one that I played through the other day was the Orange Tiny Terror.... It was somewhat limited, but it sounded good.
                    +1.....I just got my JVM 410H on Saturday, and it is the BOMB! It does everything from AC/DC to Metallica...that's my strong recommendation.

Comment

Alex, cool vid..is that a new Winger riff?

That sounds identical to to one of my riffs..almost verbatim!!!

I hated when that happends!!!

But ya sound good..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Try to score a nice Marshall JCM 800 2210..it doesn't require a stomp for 80's metal.

The closest thing in a rack is my Marshall 9200/JMP-1 set up.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Alex, cool vid..is that a new Winger riff?

That sounds identical to to one of my riffs..almost verbatim!!!

I hated when that happends!!!

But ya sound good..
                          Thanks!
                          Ya man ..thats the opening track to Winger IV

Its in the key of E Phrygian Dominant so I bet you are just hitting similar notes! lol

Comment

Working...
                          X