Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XT Live and Variax

I just got an XT Live and a Variax 300.

This is a short review. An in depth review will follow on both.

1st the XT Live

Sound: Better than the GT6 that I have used for years. It sounds less fizzy and the Marshall tones are MUCH better. It sounds alot like my Vetta but without the ability to use 2 amps at once or use double tracking. It is a FANTASTIC recording device and Line 6 edit is second to none.

Build quality: This thing is built like a tank. Very high quality road worthy construction.

Ease of use: With Line 6 edit its simple, intuitive and actually FUN. Without Line 6 edit it sucks. I would NEVER want to tweak patches on this thing without using Line 6 Edit. The Vetta blows it away for onboard tweaking.

Variax 300 using Workbench

Sound: Incredible. What a fantastic job Line 6 did with modeling actual guitars. If you ever wanted a Rickenbacker sound to a Les Paul to a Strat in the 2 and 4 positions and then switch to a beautiful 12 string acoustic you can get all of those guitars with a flick of a switch with the Variax. Couple it with the XT Live and Workbench and you can do alternate tunings and have the XT Live switch the guitar models for you automatically. For instance, I have one patch on the XT Live that is a very nice nylon acoustic guitar running through the variax/acoustic patch on the XTL. Anytime I switch to that channel on the XTL the Variax automatically switches to that guitar. I set up another patch with the exact same guitar but with Nashville tuning (the Low E to G are all tuned an octave up and the B and E strings are left normal) and when I switch patches on the XTL it switches to the alternate tuning.
    I set up another patch on the XTL using a 5150 through a 4 x 12 Mesa cab and the Variax is set on a Les Paul in the bridge position. Very cool when the XTL switches the Variax.
    BTW... using Workbench you can change body styles, electronics, pickups and pickup placement and all kinds of cool things. Basically, you can build a guitar from scratch.

Variax Playability: Totally acceptable to me. Is it the best guitar I have ever played?? Nope. Is it as good as a Mexican Strat. Yep. Absolutely.

Variax fit and finish: Nice. Plain but nice. The fret edges are a little sharp but overall I would give it a high rating for the lowest end model they make.

Bottom line... if you like messing around with sounds and you don't mind a pretty steep learning curve, this is one killer combination.
    I would NOT recommend this to anybody who just likes to plug in and jam. I would NOT recommend this to anybody who is just getting into modeling.
    I would NOT recommend this to anybody who doesn't like reading owners manuals and asking questions.
    I would NOT recommend this to anybody who gets frustrated if they can't figure something out instantly.
    I would NOT reccomend this to anybody who thinks that simpler is better.
    This is a pretty complicated rig but if you can handle learning how to use it I think the possibilities are endless.
    I love it and I am going to figure out how to use it live with my Vetta once I install the VDI/Variax upgrade.
    Thanks Pete (lhrocker)!!!
    Last edited by jgcable; 02-04-2007, 10:43 PM.

I didn't know you could do acoustic sounds with the Variax. I figured that since Line 6 has another guitar that looks like an acoustic, only that one could do the acoustic sounds. I also didn't know you could do alternate tunings with it. I thought all you could do was to model different sounding electric guitars (and I suppose a sitar). Is it necessary to have the workbench to do those things? I was seriously thinking of getting a VG Strat when they become available, but if I could do the same things with a Variax plugged into my Pod XT Live, maybe that's the way to go.

Comment

For alternate tunings... Workbench is mandatory. The cool thing about it is that its free when you have an XTL.
      The acoustic guitars are outstanding on the Variax. Both the XTL and the Vetta have patches already set up for the Variax when set in acoustic mode.
      Forget the VG strat if you already have an XTL. Just get a Variax!!!

Comment

Wow, this is really good news for me! Thanks! I think the VG Strat is a great idea, but I really didn't want to spend $1600+ on one!

Does it matter which model Variax to get? I know very little about Variaxes - except I think they have a 300, which is cheaper, and a 600, which is pricier.

Comment

The 300 works just fine, and is the least expensive of the bunch. I was planning to transplant the electronics of the 300 into a Warmoth or something else, but I decided to pass it onto John as I wanted the Vetta instead.

One really cool thing about the Variax is you can use the VDI and the analog out (1/4 inch plug) at the same time. what makes this great is you can have all of your electric stuff go thru the XLT or Vetta while your acoustic tones can go DI into the FOH. Really outstanding and I will have another one some day soon.

Comment

I have been using the XTLive for a year of gigging, rehearsing and direct recording...It had taken a couple spills from a few feet off the ground and hardly a scratch. Very gig worthy! oh.....It gets stepped on lots too!

Great unit for recording and live...Mind you...I don't care for using it with a SS powered amp. I use my XXX for power...

John...Try the Deity’s son with a screamer for a semi clean boost! and the Deity Lead with the same boost...Damn thing cut's through anything! I was using the insane for ever...Our last jam and our last show I used the Diet...HOLY SHIT! (EMG 81/85)

How is the Variax for picking up the little nuances of ones playing style/attack? Always wondered that...Especially heavy music where palm muting and harmonics are very pronounced.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I have been using a Variax and the Podxt Live for a while now too. I converted my Variax to a Warmoth neck and body and it is flat out awesome. Feels like a guitar that cost $1500 +. The conversion was really easy to do. I also the Variax with my Flextone IIIxl.

Comment

Oh yeah- Right now Muscician friend is gtting rid of the 300 models for a really good price.

Comment

i have 2 XTL's survived a flood. one was in a bag and the other was on the floor. i let them dry out for a week. the one that was in the bag is 100% perfect. the one that wasn't and got all the dirty water down inside it is 90% perfect. the only issue is that the bank up button doesn't always want to work. no difference in sound, i usually use only one bank anyway so no issues. great peice of gear. + its nice to walk into the club with my guitar in one hand, XTL in the other, create powerblock over my shoulder, and say: "so who's cab am i using tonight?" hehheh.

and whats even better is when everyone comes up to you and says. "wow, you guys sounded great. what are you using?"
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dreamland - you can get a replacement button/switch for the footswitches. Contact line 6, took me about 30 minutes or so to replace one that went bad on mine. Line6 sent it to me for free!

Pete

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I already have an XTL. I thought about getting a variax, but they seemed like they cost too much for waht they were. When I first saw one at GC of all places, I thought it looked cheap. They were going for alot more $$$. Maybe it was a 500 model or something. I'm not sure.

$300 bucks is cheap. I'm going to go play one now. It doesn't even have to play all that great for 300 bucks. I didn't know you could change tunings with it, thats cool. If I really like the way it works...I'd consider a warmoth neck and body for it.

I could free up a couple of my current guitars.

Line 6 Edit??? Isn't Gearbox the new and improved software???
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that MF price is damn good - cheaper than people are offering used ones for on eBay. Only problem is, that would be the tip of the iceberg for me. I'd be replacing the body and neck with Warmoth parts within a month or so (so much for saving $).

Comment

You could always sell the body and neck when you do the upgrade, but keep all the hardware. If you look at it as you are paying $200 for the guts, it's not that bad as you only lose $100, minus what you can get back in the sale.

Think about it - other than the bridge, the electronics across the Variax line is supposed to be the same whether it is the 300 or 700.

Comment

At $300, even that's not too bad for the electronics, bridge and tuning keys. My TS-808 reissue was $169.00....for a OD pedal.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              i have 2 XTL's survived a flood. one was in a bag and the other was on the floor. i let them dry out for a week. the one that was in the bag is 100% perfect. the one that wasn't and got all the dirty water down inside it is 90% perfect. the only issue is that the bank up button doesn't always want to work. no difference in sound, i usually use only one bank anyway so no issues. great peice of gear. + its nice to walk into the club with my guitar in one hand, XTL in the other, create powerblock over my shoulder, and say: "so who's cab am i using tonight?" hehheh.

and whats even better is when everyone comes up to you and says. "wow, you guys sounded great. what are you using?"
                              I just scored the exact same set up for some studio and live work I am going to be doing in NJ.
                              XTL, Variax and Crate Powerblock.

Comment

Working...
                              X