SLO 60? Snag it or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLO 60? Snag it or?

What is the story on these? I did not know they make a 60. How does it compare to the SLO 100?
    Edit: I've emailed Soldano requesting more info too.
    Last edited by buzzsaww; 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Actually, these are SL-60, not SLO-60. They are a single channel amp similar to a HR-50. These amps were made in Japan by Yamaha. The ones I have heard sound great. As to the question "how does it compare to an SLO-100"? If an SLO-100 sound is what your after, NOTHING will compare, not even a different Soldano.

Comment

Yeah, thebisch is right on the money. There never was a SLO60, it´s a japanese Super Lead 60 instead. They were the forefathers of the Hot Rods, and to my ears more similar to the lead channel of the SP77 series II than anything else. I´ve never heard that Yamaha made them, but keeping the Soldano-designed Yamaha T-series in mind it makes sense.

Comment

They sound like ass. I'd pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
          They sound like ass. I'd pass.

Comment

Got an answer from Mike Soldano,

Yes, the SL-60 was a Soldano product, however, we did not manufacture it. I
            designed it, and it was made for us by our Japanese distributor that we had
            at the time (1989 to early 1991). The circuitry and sound is basically that
            of our Hot Rod 50, which we manufactured ourselves starting in 1992. The
            SL-60 sounded great, but they were not as well built as the Hot Rod 50.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Depending on price, of course, I'd definitely pull the trigger. Great amps.
              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Is it the same as the Yamaha?
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

He doesn't say, what I wrote above is the entire email I received.

Edit, I just sent him another email asking about this.
                  Last edited by buzzsaww; 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Buzz I had a Korean made SL60 many years ago..I wouldn't say they sound like "ass", but NOTHING like the SLO100..those are great!

In fact I got a very authentic, Fair Warning era VH tone with my 60..it nailed "Unchained" perfectly IMO..

I actually like it better than my HR100..for some reason

But I just ditched both and got a 5150..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

From Mike Soldano about comparing the Yamaha and SL-60

I don't know - from a sound standpoint, I'd say the SL-60 was a bit better
                      than the overdrive channel of the Yamaha. Construction & quality-wise, I'd
                      say they are about the same. However, the Yamaha has the advantage of
                      being more versatile with it's two channels & reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
                        From Mike Soldano about comparing the Yamaha and SL-60

I don't know - from a sound standpoint, I'd say the SL-60 was a bit better
                        than the overdrive channel of the Yamaha. Construction & quality-wise, I'd
                        say they are about the same. However, the Yamaha has the advantage of
                        being more versatile with it's two channels & reverb.
                        Buzz my Freind had both My SL 60 and the Yamaha..nice sounding combo...but we always ran that SL 60 with a Marshall bottom..and it sounds much better in general...we sold that thing to each other back in forth like a hot potato for years..

Then I sold it to a friend for $800 bucks because he liked it..so I made a couple of bucks on it..I still have the recipet somewhere for it..I paid $595 for it barely used but mint..around '91.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hehe, I'm set for a least a few minutes with the Framus I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an Ubderschall over here but no luck so far.
                          I had never seen one of these so I thought I might be good to pickup for investment purposes, but it does not seem as sought after as the mighty SLO. I was also mistaken in thinking it was a lower wattage SLO.

Comment

I'd LOVE to fondle and hear your Framus..man, I wish there was one of those around here...my bud tells me they're cool!

Comment

I can't let you fondle my cobra man, only my wife gets to do that

Comment

Working...
                              X