Peavey XXX Combo/Static?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX Combo/Static?

Well this thing is only 49 days old and I begin getting alot of static when the amp is on. It is silent until I flip the standby then it sounds like there is no ground. I thought it was the cable but it I tried a couple of diffrent cables and guitars and the static is still there. I could have sent it back to MF a few days ago but now I guess it will be a warrenty issue. What could the problem be? Anyone.

Maybe a stupid question, but have you tried flicking the position of the Ground switch on the back of the amp?

Comment

That's weird, my kid has the same problem with his combo with nothing plugged in and in different parts of the house. I thought it was just bad stock tubes.???
      Cheers!

Comment

Is the amp near a PC, TV, etc?

Comment

It is about 10-12 feet from the TV. I called the Amp Dr warrenty center and they suggested I try plugging it into a surge suppresor before I bring it in. He said never plug straight into the wall because of dirty power? i have never heard of that?
          Last edited by Predator1; 02-07-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
            It is about 10-12 feet from the TV. I called the Amp Dr warrenty center and they suggested I try plugging it into a surge suppresor before I bring it in. He said never plug straight into the wall because of dirty power? i have never heard of that?
            I'm not sure if dirty power and a power surge are the same thing, but I'm sure neither is a good thing. You should definitely have it on a power surge protector. I thought dirty power was non-constant voltage, such as 120v. To fix this you would need a power conditioner of some sort that regulates voltage.

Also, to get rid of noise, the surge suppressor he suggested would have to have that feature built in. I believe that's called a line conditioner. I do have one of those. I'll plug my kid's combo into it and see if the noise (staticy, crackling) goes away.
            Cheers!

Comment

You mentioned a hot water slab leak in your house in the non-J/C section. I wonder if you got excessive humidity/moisture either in the amp or in your electrical wiring from that hot water escaping into the house?

A power conditioner is a good idea because if you get a voltage surge wouldn't you rather fry a decent surge protector than your $1300 combo? I know I would...
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X