Is my amp broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my amp broken?

I have a B-52AT100 head. Clean channel sounds great, when I switch over to the overdrive channels I lose most of the low end. Even with the bass cranked all the way it still sounds very weak/thin. Any thoughts?

Has it always sounded like this? I'd say take it to a tech, if it's affecting one channel and not the other it's doubtful it's power tubes. Might want to swap around preamp tubes just in case too.

Pete

Comment

+1

nine times out of ten its a tube problem.

Comment

No it didn't always sound like that. I've also noticed that I get intermittent popping when I crank the preamp past 12'oclock, which from what I understand is likely a preamp tube issue, so I guess I'll start there. Is something I can do myself? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mikec205 View Post
          No it didn't always sound like that. I've also noticed that I get intermittent popping when I crank the preamp past 12'oclock, which from what I understand is likely a preamp tube issue, so I guess I'll start there. Is something I can do myself? Thanks

yep...just replace the tube with the same type. Pre-amp tubes dont need any biasing so you can swap w/o any issues. Look int he amps documentation to see what tube controls the channel that has crappy tone, throw a new in there and see it it corrects the problem.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

The tubes are 12ax7s. Start with the first tube closest to the input. hat tube takes the most abuse of the preamp tubes. Then just sysematicaly gow donw the line till it changes. Get a cpl of tubes in case more than one is bad.
            Gil

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X