Live and recording guitar cab mics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live and recording guitar cab mics

Well, took the plunge and bought a Sennheiser E609 Silver to go with my vintage (read really old) SM57. Recorded a few tracks, will post em in a day or two. I miked a JCM800 cab with VHT 50/CL - dangled the 609 over the edge without a stand, and set up the SM57 how I usually do. Straight at the cab, 2" away, a little off center (about 1") from the dust cap seam.

I'm going to do it at the gig saturday - each mic adds something the other lacks. The 609 sounds warm and big, but not very bright. It's not muddy, just doesn't have that upper mid spike that the 57 has that makes it cut so well through a mix. The 57 sounds like dogshit compared to the 609 though - very harsh. I got a 'best of both worlds' by mixing about 75% 609 and using the SM57 to just add a little mid spike. I think you get a better tone by doing this and trying to leave your board EQ as flat as possible vs running a 609 and eq'ing the hell out of the top end.

What do the rest of you guys use? I've used SM57s for nearly 20 years at gigs and for recording, I'm real happy with blending the two mics. I even tried two SM57s at different locations on the speakers (one more centered, one more to the edge) but this is better imho.

Pete
Working...
X