Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip of SM57 and E609 silver used at same time

http://members.cox.net/vht50/E609+Sm...oftheNight.mp3

75% E609, 25% SM57. The warmth is the 609, the bite and grit is the SM57. I like how the 609 sounds by itself, but it tends to get swallowed in a mix. The edge/grit of the 57 really pushes it forward.

Now I'm thinking about getting an audix i5 mic and trying it in place of the SM57 - see if I can get the high end without the 'hash'.

BTW, I've been semi-ill most of the week, and this was a one take wonder. I know the timing is off and I'm probably playing it wrong - just wanted to get the tone grabbed. Amp was a VHT 50/CL red channel, VERY low volume, cab was a JCM800 slant w/85watt celestions.

Pete

Hey Pete, hmm...

It sounds a little compressed and to throaty for me. The compression is most likely coming from the VERY low volume. You need more sizzle and I think you lost it with the mic placement. We use 57's mainly to record. Usually we put 1 on axis right in front, 1 around 10' back in the room and one behind a 3/4 back cab. We also record another track with a high end condensor mic (I can't remember what model) and we add it in if we have to.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Hey Pete, hmm...

It sounds a little compressed and to throaty for me. The compression is most likely coming from the VERY low volume. You need more sizzle and I think you lost it with the mic placement. We use 57's mainly to record. Usually we put 1 on axis right in front, 1 around 10' back in the room and one behind a 3/4 back cab. We also record another track with a high end condensor mic (I can't remember what model) and we add it in if we have to.
      One reason I was recording with the mics up against the cabinet is that a room mic is going to be a bad idea for live sound IMHO... and that's the primary use/test I was going for here. You're right though, it was way too quiet when I recorded, but I own a condo and have asshole neighbors.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I actually love the tone you achieved with mixing of the two mics. I think it sounds kickass for a low volume level, some brittleness but not too bad for me. And who says you need a moddeler for home recording I find when recording at low amp volumes you almost have to have the mic as close as possible to speaker(s) get a good record level.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          Pete, I actually love the tone you achieved with mixing of the two mics. I think it sounds kickass for a low volume level, some brittleness but not too bad for me. And who says you need a moddeler for home recording I find when recording at low amp volumes you almost have to have the mic as close as possible to speaker(s) get a good record level.

Thanks Shawn. I think I might grab an Audix and try it in place of the SM57 to see if it takes some of the harsh high end off. I had no idea an SM57 was so edgy sounding until I had something to compare it to.

I think it captured the amp's tone pretty well though, at least from what I was hearing in the room. Does your 50/CL sound like that?

Pete

Comment

yeah..pretty close to that...certainly can hear that distinct VHT CL voicing in both yours and mine
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
            X