Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Amps

Hey folks,
    Anyone ever have a chance to try out one of the Atomic amp combos? They're the ones that let you "dock" a modeler...Pod, V-Amp, etc but have a 6L6 tube power amp. Years ago, I used to use a Digitech system with a Musicman head for the power tube section, and it was killer, and this is just an updated version of that. The Harmony Central crowd seems to dig them alot, but I trust my fellow JCF bros opinions on sumpin like dis.

I think I remember someone here (Newc? toejam?) owning one of those...

Comment

I had one a year or two ago and am getting another this weekend. I will report back.
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Hey Frosty,
        Cool man, definitely fill us in...I'm itchin' to grab one of these.

Comment

Here is a quick clip I did with the atomic. It was a fairly low volume. The mic was a sm57 about 5 inches away from the speaker. There is some multi band compression on the master track.

http://webpages.charter.net/gregdomeier/atomicuber.mp3

Haven't been able to crank it much yet.
          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
            Here is a quick clip I did with the atomic. It was a fairly low volume. The mic was a sm57 about 5 inches away from the speaker. There is some multi band compression on the master track.

Haven't been able to crank it much yet.

You didn't mention which modeler you are running through the Atomic, or which model was used for the recording. Sounded good though.

Comment

I had one and ran it with a POD 2.0.

It sounded killer with my ADA MP-1 and Digitech TSR-12 rig though.

Only thing was, it didn't have a master volume - whatever went in, is what came out.

I sold it since I didn't have a band and couldn't really crank it.

Have they released the 2x12 version yet?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used my podXT and the uber model. The cab sim was the line 6 2x12. So far, my impression is that is does clean and mild dirt good. Metal seems pretty good too. The in between stuff is harder.

Comment

Yes, the 2x12 is out now. That and the othe 50 watt models both have master volumes.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  I had one and ran it with a POD 2.0.

It sounded killer with my ADA MP-1 and Digitech TSR-12 rig though.

Only thing was, it didn't have a master volume - whatever went in, is what came out.

I sold it since I didn't have a band and couldn't really crank it.

Have they released the 2x12 version yet?

Comment

Here is another clip. The rhythm guitars left and right are the vox ac30 top boost. The lead is the xt eruption patch with the verb off and the cab sim changed to line 6 2x12. I should have turned the phaser off too.

There are some odd cracks in this clip. That is my picking hand accidentally pressing the bass strings to the pick ups. Pardon the clams.

Comment

They sound good dude! Is that the 1x12 version?

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
                        Yes, the 2x12 is out now. That and the othe 50 watt models both have master volumes.
                        Sweet.

Did they make a bass version yet? I've still got my BassPOD.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes, the 1x12. I have been working the medium gain tones a bit. One thing I found to make them better is they really need the amps volume balanced with the model's gain.

What I do now is turn the pods volume up to how loud I want it, then bring up the models drive, trying to find that sweet spot. My normal mo would be to set the drive first, the find I volume I like.

I will try and record some later (bassman model)

Comment

I have both both the 1x12 18 watter and the 1x12 50 watter. I had the 18 first and I really liked it. So I thought I would try the 50 and it is freakin loud with tons of head room. I sold my Vetta head and cabs soon after.

I still use them both and sometimes in stereo. There are some tips to tweaking them depending on which modeler you decide to use.

Tom @ atomic is a great guy and will answer your questions.

Comment

Working...
                            X