X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone played the new marshall jvm?

just wondering how they sound.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

I'm guessing between the Valvestate Series and the JCM Series?
    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
    Dimebag Darrell
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Cliff Burton

Comment

they're getting mixed reviews in rig-talk.com and harmony-central

Comment

Played a Vintage Modern yesterday with my PRS and the store's PRS. My take is that it is a one trick pony. What I mean by that is that, I would set the knobs one way and leave them that way for the duration of my ownership of the amp (assuming I would buy one - I wouldn't). I couldn't find a way to set the knobs where I'd have a nice lead AND a nice rhythm tone. Definitely needs to be opened up. As typical of most tube amps, the higher up on the master the better it sounded. Gain is JCM 800ish level. Has Cascading JCM 900ish gain setup but, the VM sounds better than a 900 (SL-X is a different story though).

So to sum up, one pretty good tone once you dial it in but, it's a compromise between lead and rhythm tone. Depending how you set it, it'll sound better for one, more than the other. No way around that without using a pedal that I can see. Needs volume, so the 50 Watt version is probably a better idea (I tried the 100 Watt), for gigging too. The purple tolex looks cool.

Also, both the store manager and one employee were disappointed that there was no spring reverb onboard, it's a DSP based one. I personally could care less about that. Lexicon reverbs anyone Not saying that it's a lexicon but, digital reverb is not a bad thing to me personally. I hate the sounds of the springs going boing and thwack everytime I hit a bump in my car or move the position of the amp where I'm playing anyways
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Well he was talking abou tthe JVM which is the 4 channel, alot more verstile.

I also played a vintage modern yesterday and GC in VA here. I was very disappointed, honestly it sounded like ass compared to other marshalls I have owned. Wouldnt waste my money on that purple halfstack.

I do want to try the JVM, just have to wait till they get one in.

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
          Played a Vintage Modern yesterday with my PRS and the store's PRS. My take is that it is a one trick pony. What I mean by that is that, I would set the knobs one way and leave them that way for the duration of my ownership of the amp (assuming I would buy one - I wouldn't). I couldn't find a way to set the knobs where I'd have a nice lead AND a nice rhythm tone. Definitely needs to be opened up. As typical of most tube amps, the higher up on the master the better it sounded. Gain is JCM 800ish level. Has Cascading JCM 900ish gain setup but, the VM sounds better than a 900 (SL-X is a different story though).

So to sum up, one pretty good tone once you dial it in but, it's a compromise between lead and rhythm tone. Depending how you set it, it'll sound better for one, more than the other. No way around that without using a pedal that I can see. Needs volume, so the 50 Watt version is probably a better idea (I tried the 100 Watt), for gigging too. The purple tolex looks cool.

Also, both the store manager and one employee were disappointed that there was no spring reverb onboard, it's a DSP based one. I personally could care less about that. Lexicon reverbs anyone Not saying that it's a lexicon but, digital reverb is not a bad thing to me personally. I hate the sounds of the springs going boing and thwack everytime I hit a bump in my car or move the position of the amp where I'm playing anyways

Comment

Oh, I know he was referring to the JVM... still waiting on a JVM to arrive in the area so I can flog it
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I've played the 100 watt head, kicks ass, extremely versitile! My bud down the street picked one up.
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

No one close to me has either yet. I do want to try both as well as the reissue JCM800.

chuck
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
                  No one close to me has either yet. I do want to try both as well as the reissue JCM800.

chuck
                  Yep, I want to try the JCM 800 re-issue and the JVM. I see the JVM head is 100 watts, but only 2 EL34`s. That is odd? Maybe a mis-print? This was on MF site. Another weird thing is the JCM is much less $$$$$$ than the JCM 800, now that is really wird considering the options on the JVM. I think the JCM 800 re-issue is grossly over priced, that is a shame, because I am jonesing for one. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                  X