No announcement yet.

Need pedal advice for Marshall sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pedal advice for Marshall sound...

Here's the deal..

I'm getting rid of my Marshall combo and sticking with my Fender Deluxe Reverb. No more amp switching setup for me. I was using the Fender strictly for cleans and the Marshall solely for distortion.

The problem is I really like the distortion sound on my Marshall and I want a pedal that can give me the same sound.

So whaddaya got for me?

How is the Marshall Guv'Nor?

I think the Guv'nor is the best for classic marshall tones, but I think the Jackhammer is a little more versatile since it has more gain.

it's pretty much versatility vs. a single job.

EDIT: I have played both of them and they both sounded very good for the volume that I was at on a crappy amp with an RR3 in a local music store. Try it at a higher volume to see if it's what you want and through a set up that's similar to your own.
    Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 02-24-2007, 03:15 PM.
    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
    Dimebag Darrell
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Cliff Burton

Comment

Since You're into Marshal tone, look into Marshall's own pedal series. As I see You already are, I have no better advice to give You than to find one close to where You live and check it out, take Your amp and gear to the store or borrow the pedal if they let You and try it. You'll definitely find one You like in that range.
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Marshall's pedal series is awesome! Check out the Bluesbreaker II or the Jackhammer.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yes, the Marshall pedals are really good and I used to have a Dlx. Reverb that I coupled with a Marshall Jackhammer.
          At very low volumes it sounded really good but at stage volume it muddied up very badly. It was a combination of hot humbuckers in my LP, the stock speaker and the overall cabinet design of the Fender Dlx.
          It was just too much for the amp to handle.
          Good luck!

-David

Comment

Try a few different pedals through the Fender and compare the tones directly to your Marshall before you sell it.

An ABY box would be good for that. You can swap back and forth between both amps at the same time to compare the tones, or turn them both on and see if it sounds like stereo or "one over here, another over there".
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The bluesbreaker is great through my marshall and through my fender tweed.

Comment

Thanks guys but it looks like my problem was solved for me.

The guy that came to buy my Marshall A/Bed it and the Fender and preferred the Fender due to its clean tone. So now my Deluxe Reverb is sold and my Marshall stays put. Guess I should have waited before posting this but I thought the Marshall sale was a done deal.

Comment

I always liked Marshall amps much more anyways.

R.I.P.
                  Dimebag Darrell
                  Chuck Schuldiner
                  Cliff Burton

Comment

How is that Marshall clean compared to the Fender?? Did you make a mistake selling the Fender??
                    I guess it depends on how and what you play.

Dan

Comment

now go get a Roland cube or Jazzchorus for cleans and you got it all.
                      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
                        now go get a Roland cube or Jazzchorus for cleans and you got it all.
                        I think the whole thing was that he didn't want to Bi-amp.

R.I.P.
                        Dimebag Darrell
                        Chuck Schuldiner
                        Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          How is that Marshall clean compared to the Fender?? Did you make a mistake selling the Fender??
                          I guess it depends on how and what you play.

Dan
                          The Marshall clean and the Fender clean are two totally different animals to me. It's kind of hard to describe the difference.

I hope I didn't make a mistake selling the Fender!!! Seriously though I only sold one because I really don't need two amps for the house and I definitely could have used the money somewhere else.

Overall I know I'll be happy keeping the Marshall in the long run. I am finding it's a whole lot harder to get a distorted tone you like than it is to get a good clean tone. I'm satisfied with the Marshall clean and I absolutely love the Marshall distorted tone so I think I did OK.

Plus I got more money for the Fender!

Comment

marshall jh-1 is a great sounding pedal. tons of gain.
                            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                            Amp... Pioneer
                            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

i've heard great things about the jackhammer

Comment

Working...
                              X