Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need preamp advice for VHT 2150

Hey,

I pulled the trigger on a VHT 2150 on the bay and need preamp advice.
    I think I can afford $500.00 for a JMP-1 but what about a ADA MP-1?
    Are the two close in sound? I know there are mods avail for the MP-1.
    Seems like the MP-1's are a little cheaper but I've always been a Marshall guy so maybe I should go with a JMP-1? Any help would be appreciated.

Tks, Bergs

Congrats on the VHT2150. It's the ultimate power amp really. You will be happy. Umm, other than when you have to carry it of course.

My Voodu Valve was tremendously aggressive and fairly awesome into the VHT. I have a CAE 3+se now which is way cool, but I do miss the VV for rhythms.

Not a fan of the JMP at all had one and disliked it. Heard some good stuff done with the MP1 tho.

Comment

Clevend Metal,

Thanks for the reply. Would you have any samples of your sound with the Voodu Valve?

Cheers,

Comment

If you like Marshalls, you'd probably dig the JMP-1. If you like 80s tones like Extreme - you'd probably dig the MP-1. Either would be a good choice, my personal preference is the MP-1 out of those two.

Pete

Comment

What about a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp?
          anyone have experience with these?

Tks,

Comment

I have owned a lot of preamps. and it really depends on what your going after. I wanted a serious brutal sound, and I'm still sorta chasing it. Seems an ENGL 570 might be in future someday. Could never be happy with the Marshall after owning one a few years. Just not aggressive enough. But, lively where the Voodu wasnt.

I am currently digging through some CDs for a clip to put on our MySapce and may find a clip of that unit. I'll definitely know that sound when I hear it.

I tried the MESA and didnt like it much, but seems lotsa people like em. Honestly, I didn't really have time to wring it out enough I'm thinking. Amazing what you can do with tweaking, pickups and parametric EQ. That's what it took to get my CAE sounding metal enough to my ears. I hated it when I bought it, but after awhile, I don't know that I'll ever sell it. Unless that ENGL 570 just kills.

Comment

I'm going for a high gain meaty sound ala Helmet, etc.
              I use Seymour Duncan LWHMET pickup's and they
              are Ultra gain P/u's so I might try the Mesa Studio and go from there.

Comment

We never tried the JMP-1 w/ John's VHT..

If you LOVE the "Marshall" sound..for that money the JMP-1 is the only way to go IMO. The Voodoo valve is a bit more agressive but it doesn't have the sound of a Marshall, not at all..the JMP-1 ceratainly does..I do very well with mine running it with eight 5881s ..I hate running the JMP-1 w/ EL34..WAY too midrangy and no low end at all.

That Engl 570 is supposed to be a bad mo fo, lots of verasatility and gain..never tried one tho..just heard clips is all..expensive preamp..way above you budget.

with my JMP-1 / 9200 I get a GREAT classic VH / latter Cris Oliva tone..

I been in love wi/ my JMP-1 ever since they came out in '96..great classic 80's Marshall tone metal and great lead tones ..I have my Uberschall the modern stuff.. I use both the JMP-1 and Uber on Bed Of Nails demo tape..

My VH tribute demo is a JMP-1 into a Peavey 120/120 poweramp w/ 6L6..but

You can only put so much faith in "clip"..it can give you an idea of what a amp can do..not will do..you don't know how it was miced, EQ, mixed and that is not your playing or guitar on clips..

MP-1 are cool ..they are cool for what they are, and alot of great players loved them back in the day..but they don't nail a the Marshall tone I always loved and search for..the JMP-1 sounds closest to the Marshall 2210 JCM 800's..I had two of those which I traded towards my Marshall rack..

just me 02 on what I really like.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

mesa tri axis
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Man, you have the mother of all power amps. I would save some money. The JMP-1 is fine but it's not great IMO - you still need an overdrive pedal to give it much hair. For $500, I'd rather get a Hafler Triple Giant.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      mesa tri axis

My good freind has one..nice preamp..NOT the "Marshall"..sound Bergs is asking for..

No preamp in a $500 price range or any range has the an autehnic "Marshall" tone as does the Marshall JMP-1..Period..not that I ever heard.

Producer/guitarist Roy Z feels the same..Judas Preist / Halford/ Maiden / Dickenson..

Judas Preist was using Rocktron for the entire Owens era..when Rob re-joined Preist..they went to JMP-1..and Maiden folled suite..per the advic of Roy Z..and you can hear a huge improvement in their tone these days.

When you hear the last Maided and Judas Preist releases and concerts..it sound like a Marshall again..

John hates the JMP-1..because he bought a bad unit..I didn't like John's tone either with his..He bought a 9200 w EL34s, like a few of my freinds did and they sounded nothing like mine..

John was the one that discovered my Marshall rig and told me about it in '96..I bought THAT very rig that week. John did same, but with bad results..we both played 5150s at the time..So, I understand his discontent becauseI was there from the begonning.. John knows My Marshall sounds pretty damn good for authentice VH/ Savatage tones and various 80's Marshall tones..I do modern thrash stuff myself with it and can nail a Death / Eidolon tone on steroids sound with mine no prob...I'll never sell it.

John CAE+3 actually sounds like a great Marshall on steroids..it actually sounds more full bodied than ANY Marshall I ever heard..but it really doesn't sound like a Marshall..it's awesome though..it sounds massive with his VHT2150..but that preamp is big bucks..but it does sound amazing I think..there's clip somewhere with me playing thru it w/ my Wolfgang..

Bill Z

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        Man, you have the mother of all power amps. I would save some money. The JMP-1 is fine but it's not great IMO - you still need an overdrive pedal to give it much hair. For $500, I'd rather get a Hafler Triple Giant.

Good advice there, although I always heard good things about Halfler..I never played one..so Tim would know better on that..

I don't use stomps for anything!!!

The JMP-1 certainly is not a modern high gain monster like my Uber but there is enough on tap to do anything I require, ..it sounds like Eidolon/ 8200 vavlestate but on steroids..but I use four 1960b cabs and 200 watts of 6L6 power..similiar preamp tone tho..more like the Marshall 2210.

I love my Marshall..but to each their own ..you can take advice but use your ears and make your choice..you certainly did well getting a awesome poweramp..

Comment

Sorry man, tho yours sounds ok, wouldn't own your JMP-1 either and I've played enough in stores as well. Does Death/Eidolon yes, The "on steroids" is a bit of an overstatement.

Comment

Bill - I call bullshit. Nobody that dimes an Uberschall could possibly be satisified with a JMP-1

I had a JMP-1, Hafler Triple Giant, VHT GP-3, and Soldano SP-77 at the same time I had a 2150. The Hafler was the best of those for sure.

- Newc

Comment

This was fun:

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X