Need preamp advice for VHT 2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
    Sorry man, tho yours sounds ok, wouldn't own your JMP-1 either and I've played enough in stores as well. Does Death/Eidolon yes, The "on steroids" is a bit of an overstatement.
    You do..how??

The 8200 Valvestate (Eidolon / Death) has a 100 watt solid state poweramp section..I have a 200 watt all tube poweramp into four Marshall cabs ..kicked in the ass by a BBE 422..

Umm..OK..I'm "overstaing"..right!

What you hear miced, mixed and produced on those recordings..I can get LOUD with much more bottom end..
    Last edited by horns666; 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      Bill - I call bullshit. Nobody that dimes an Uberschall could possibly be satisified with a JMP-1

I had a JMP-1, Hafler Triple Giant, VHT GP-3, and Soldano SP-77 at the same time I had a 2150. The Hafler was the best of those for sure.
      Well it's true Timmy..

They really do both have their place for me and work very well together on tape..I dime the JMP-1 too.

All the solos on my demo and VH trib is ALL JMP-1..

You guys LIKE both of those..yes?
      Last edited by horns666; 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM. Reason: Typing while stoned...hahahhaa

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I'm going to start with a JMP-1 an see how I like that.
        I can always swap it out for something else later, or try something else
        in the rig. Thats the beauty of going for a rack rig right?
        This will be my first rack.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          This was fun:

It sure looks like it..

NICE..I'm mean really nice..you maniac..

I'm NOT saying that the JMP-1 is better than the Hafler. I'm just giving my advice to exactly what Berg's is looking for..He want it to sound "Marshall" and he has a budget of no more than $500..

Pete agreed with me here..and I'm sure he's had or played most of these preamps..

Comment

Originally posted by bergsheil View Post
            Thanks for the input, I'm going to start with a JMP-1 an see how I like that.
            I can always swap it out for something else later, or try something else
            in the rig. Thats the beauty of going for a rack rig right?
            This will be my first rack.

smart...good move IMO!!!

You want to sound like Marshall..buy a Marshall that sounds like Marshall..the JMP-1 delivers that in spades..especially with a killer poweramp like the VHT!

That's what I did 11 years ago and I still love it 'till this day..

Bill Z

Comment

Bergs.. PM me when you get yours..

I got settings that you can immediate start with!

Bill Z

Comment

I say get the MP-1 and if you don't like it, then get the JMP-1. Cheaper cost of admission but, not necessarily cheaper tone. This is my 2nd time around with an MP-1. Had one before and didn't like it then. I do however like the tones I'm getting with the one I have now.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I found a JMP-1 for $475.00 so now just waiting for the brown truck to
                  get here. Searching around for my earplugs too. :-)
                  two more cabs and I'll be set. I will easily have the loudest guitar rig in Montana

Comment

I found a JMP-1 for $475.00 so now just waiting for the brown truck to
                    get here. Searching around for my earplugs too. :-)
                    two more cabs and I'll be set. I will easily have the loudest guitar rig in Montana
                    Cool, PM me when ya get it..and we'll get ya in the ball park what sound you're going for..

I had the JMP-1 right when it came out in '96, and know it well..

Comment

I've got the Voodoo Amps Modded MP-1 and it will take you all the way to Super Gain Marshall. For Fender, Marshall and Mesa sounds I use a Sansamp PSA-1. These are running through a VHT 2/90/2 with a BBE 882i in the middle. I have the whole spectrum for sounds.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have a stock MP-1 and I love it. Blows away the JMP-1 in gain and overall tone, IMO. Plus (again - IMO) the JMP-1 can't compete with the MP-1's clean tones by a mile.

Comment

Hey, forgive my ignorance I'm a total rack noob, the BBE 882i, does that
                          act as a gate or do you guys have additional gates you use with these?

Comment

Hey, forgive my ignorance I'm a total rack noob, the BBE 882i, does that
                            act as a gate or do you guys have additional gates you use with these?
                            The BBE is not a noise gate. You'll need an additional gate (I use a Rocktron Hush unit in my rack). But with my MP-1 system, the BBE greatly enhances the preamp's tone. I would suggest you get one if you choose to go with the MP-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Randog View Post
                              The BBE is not a noise gate. You'll need an additional gate (I use a Rocktron Hush unit in my rack). But with my MP-1 system, the BBE greatly enhances the preamp's tone. I would suggest you get one if you choose to go with the MP-1.

Do you think I might need the maximizer for the JMP-1?

Thanks for the noisegate tip...

Comment

Do you think I might need the maximizer for the JMP-1?

Thanks for the noisegate tip...
                                I'm not sure. I've never owned one (a JMP-1). I do know that I played the JMP-1 through a Mesa Boogie 20/20 (one of the absolute best tube power amps out there) and I was not impressed at all. And I normally dig Marshall heads (JCM 800 and 900). If you end up going with the JMP-1, then I would ask to test it with a BBE if you get it from a store, although I'm sure that there's someone here with experience with that preamp and the BBE units.

Good luck and happy hunting, dude! Loading a rack system with all of your desired components and figuring out what works best for you is an absolute blast.

Comment

Working...
                                X