Tube Verses Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Verses Rack

I'm wondering everyones opinion about using tube power amps as compared to solid state rack gear. I have a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a solid state power amp, and they do good for recording and live performance as well. But my friends are hell bent on tubes and I must admit, I do like the sound of the Peavey XXX head; but the feedback nearly kills me at drummer levels. Guess I've gotten spoiled using HUSH.

SHAWN WHITAKER
    www.viralload.net
    www.insidiousdecrepancy.net
    Last edited by viralload; 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM. Reason: so peeps don't think i'm a drooler.

You can get tube rack gear, you know. And you can also find a button on the left side of the keyboard. It's marked Caps Lock. It will make it so you're not always shouting when you're typing.

I like the sound of tube gear better, but solid state stuff has its place, too. Tech 21 in particular has good SS stuff. A lot of guys here love the Line 6 Vetta, but I haven't tried one. But the sound of a cranked tube amp is pretty inspiring, if a lot less versatile.

Comment

You say a Peavey XXX is feedback badly; are you using a guitar with single coil pickups. A basic comparison of tube amps to solid state is this:

Tube:

PROS: More natural sounding distortion, subjectively better tone.
      CONS: Cost, Upkeep, Weight

Solid State:

PROS: Built in effects on most, Reliable, Low Price
      CONS: Distortion CAN sound harsh, and your tone may not be as rich as a tube amp.

It all depends on what you want. If you play a solid state and like it buy it, dont just get an amp with tubes in it because you want to say you own a tube equipped amp. Likewise, "hynrdo" amps often feature a tube in the preamp, but they are essentially soild state in terms of how they function.

Comment

Originally posted by viralload View Post
        I'M WONDERING EVERYONES OPINION ABOUT USING TUBE AMPS AS COMPARED TO RACK GEAR. I HAVE A ROCKTRON VOODU VALVE AND SOLID STATE POWER AMP, AND IT DOES ME GOOD FOR RECORDING AND LIVE PERFORMANCE AS WELL. BUT MY FRIENDS ARE HELL BENT ON TUBES, AND I MUST ADMIT, I DO LIKE THE SOUND OF THE PEAVEY XXX HEAD, BUT THE FEEDBACK DAMN NEAR KILLS ME, GUESS I'VE GOTTEN SPOILED WITH THE HUSH!

SHAWN WHITAKER

Comment

I use both tube and solid state in my various live and studio rigs, generally running a SS preamp or pedal into a tube power amp. I've found the ART Tube EQ to be a very handy little device for warming up SS amps.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by viralload View Post
            I'M WONDERING EVERYONES OPINION ABOUT USING TUBE AMPS AS COMPARED TO RACK GEAR. I HAVE A ROCKTRON VOODU VALVE AND SOLID STATE POWER AMP, AND IT DOES ME GOOD FOR RECORDING AND LIVE PERFORMANCE AS WELL. BUT MY FRIENDS ARE HELL BENT ON TUBES, AND I MUST ADMIT, I DO LIKE THE SOUND OF THE PEAVEY XXX HEAD, BUT THE FEEDBACK DAMN NEAR KILLS ME, GUESS I'VE GOTTEN SPOILED WITH THE HUSH!

SHAWN WHITAKER
            www.viralload.net
            www.insidiousdecrepancy.net
            I say use what sounds good to you. If you like a tone go with it make it your own.
            www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
            the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Wow, guess people think I'm retarted cause of the caps thing, oh well, guess that one is deserved. Won't be doing that again!! And I know there is tube rack gear, I'm not stupid. I guess I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who thinks you can achieve good tone without a tube power amp section. I also know that the Voodu Valve has a tube preamp too, just in case I get my intelligence questioned on that too.
              Last edited by viralload; 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I use a XXX and I don't get feedback unless it's turned up to drummer levels...Just use a noise gate...Actually a very quiet amp for a hi gain tube amp.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
                  I use a XXX and I don't get feedback unless it's turned up to drummer levels...Just use a noise gate...Actually a very quiet amp for a hi gain tube amp.
                  yea, at drummer levels is what I was speaking of. thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    You say a Peavey XXX is feedback badly; are you using a guitar with single coil pickups. A basic comparison of tube amps to solid state is this:

Tube:

PROS: More natural sounding distortion, subjectively better tone.
                    CONS: Cost, Upkeep, Weight

Solid State:

PROS: Built in effects on most, Reliable, Low Price
                    CONS: Distortion CAN sound harsh, and your tone may not be as rich as a tube amp.

It all depends on what you want. If you play a solid state and like it buy it, dont just get an amp with tubes in it because you want to say you own a tube equipped amp. Likewise, "hynrdo" amps often feature a tube in the preamp, but they are essentially soild state in terms of how they function.
                    Naw, I'm using emg 81's actually, single coils just don't do it for me, personally. Thanx for your comment, I restated my first thread to make more sense, I know the difference between the two, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else agreed with me on the fact that you can achieve decent tone without a tube power amp section.

Comment

I used to use a SS Carvin DCM150 power amp with my Boss GT-8. Sounded awesome to me. I sold it, but I've got a Crate Power Block that does a damn good job, too.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                        I use both tube and solid state in my various live and studio rigs, generally running a SS preamp or pedal into a tube power amp. I've found the ART Tube EQ to be a very handy little device for warming up SS amps.
                        interesting idea with the art tube eq, i'll definatley consider that route.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          I used to use a SS Carvin DCM150 power amp with my Boss GT-8. Sounded awesome to me. I sold it, but I've got a Crate Power Block that does a damn good job, too.
                          I've always been a fan of boss distortion, so that sounds like a really cool set up. I really like to shred it with tons of gain, guess that's why I've always been drawn to solid state setups like the late eighties-mid ninties Peavey amps with "super sat" distortion!!! The stereo chorus 212 and revolution heads are exactly what I want in an amp!! I have a feeling though that one day I will have a mesa power amp in my setup, but we'll see!!!

Comment

The GT-8 is awesome, because not only do you get the amp modeling sounds (Mesa, 5150, Marshall, Soldano, Vox, Fender, H&K, etc.), you also get stomp box modeling that you can layer on top of the amp models (various Boss models, Tube Screamer, Rat, Big Muff, etc.) There's so much gain in it, it's not even funny. You also get to choose between mic placement simulation and speaker cabinet simulation (open back, closed, 1x8, 1x10, 2x12, 1x15, 4x10, 4x12, 8x12). And the effects are great, too. There's just so much going on in it, it's incredible!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              The GT-8 is awesome, because not only do you get the amp modeling sounds (Mesa, 5150, Marshall, Soldano, Vox, Fender, H&K, etc.), you also get stomp box modeling that you can layer on top of the amp models (various Boss models, Tube Screamer, Rat, Big Muff, etc.) There's so much gain in it, it's not even funny. You also get to choose between mic placement simulation and speaker cabinet simulation (open back, closed, 1x8, 1x10, 2x12, 1x15, 4x10, 4x12, 8x12). And the effects are great, too. There's just so much going on in it, it's incredible!
                              wow, sounds like it's pro just like my rocktron!!! is that a footpedal system or rack??? I might have to get myself one of those little jems!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X