No announcement yet.

Tube Verses Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedal system. It also sounds great in my living room rig... old Marshall Valvestate 2x12 stereo chorus combo (8240), plugged into its stereo effects loop.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sick!!! i'll definatley be checkin that one out!!!
      Last edited by viralload; 02-28-2007, 08:06 PM.

Comment

hey that's a cool case for that too, any advice on a case for a boss dr 880 drum machine??

Comment

You can check cases out on the Coffin Case website. I bought mine at Guitar Center awhile ago.
          http://www.coffincase.com/
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used EMG 81s into a Voodu valve for quite some time. Going from a Marshall EL34 100/100 to a Cerwin Vega SS power Amp, to a VHT2150 w/KT88s.

I found the VHT2150 to be the most brutally amazing unit with the Voodu. The Solid state was ok, and the Marshall a little better. But the VHT won hands down.

I have a CAE3+se preamp now and was JUST lamenting about 30 minutes ago to the other guitar player in my band that I wish I still had the Voodu for rhythms. It was so solid and authoritive. May look again for one since my old one died.

Comment

I Never understand this. To me, Its a tube amp, tube everything.. Warmth, tone and Feeling cannot be replicated with SS.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Pedal system. It also sounds great in my living room rig... old Marshall Valvestate 2x12 stereo chorus combo (8240), plugged into its stereo effects loop.

Anyone able to get the "Pick attack" to work? I had read that the
                GT-8 had a cool ability to change patches, depending on how hard your
                pick attack was? I cant seem to find it anywhere in the manual?
                Pick attack feature in the Gt-8 ? Where it changes from one patch
                to the next?

Comment

Originally posted by PittJitsu View Post
                  I Never understand this. To me, Its a tube amp, tube everything.. Warmth, tone and Feeling cannot be replicated with SS.
                  That's assuming a person wants to replicate a tube amp. For certain types of music, some SS characteristics can be beneficial. Most *good* SS amps sound consistent at any volume, or at least the ones I've used do. I have played venues where the sound guy was telling me to turn down my 50W tube amp when it was only at 2, so it ended up losing any tube tone it had. With my current SS head, it would have at least sounded like a real amp and not an AM radio. And for the really tight, compressed distortion so many death metal guitarists use, SS can really do the job.
                  sigpic

Comment

exactly.. I was going to mention that as well. Some guys like SS just because of its response/ability to keep the sound very tight and how it transfers the preamp with clarity/transparancy which some would consider sterile.
                    Last edited by charvelguy; 03-01-2007, 09:08 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Then there's the hybrid rigs. Eddie used to run his Marshalls dimed into a Palmer load box and the line output of that into solid state power amps out to his cabs. Go figure.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Well, I think he already had his tone pretty much from the pre and power amp section of the head. Basically treated the output of that as a line signal to PA, but instead of running it direct signal to PA(which he may have done as well).. I speculate he wanted the sound coming out of his cabs.. likely preferred what came out of the cabs as a 'traditional' stage setup. So instead of coloring it or adding more tube distortion, he chose to power it as one would a monitor, PA or sidewash but with speakers that would break up when pushed as originally intended.
                        It would seem this really gave him alot more control of a cranked Marshall and keeping the integrity of that sound w/o having to go deaf or drown out the rest of the band.

Very much a hybrid of the two.
                        Last edited by charvelguy; 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                          Well, I think he already had his tone pretty much from the pre and power amp section of the head. Basically treated the output of that as a line signal to PA, but instead of running it direct signal to PA(which he may have done as well).. I speculate he wanted the sound coming out of his cabs.. likely preferred what came out of the cabs as a 'traditional' stage setup. So instead of coloring it or adding more tube distortion, he chose to power it as one would a monitor, PA or sidewash but with speakers that would break up when pushed as originally intended.
                          It would seem this really gave him alot more control of a cranked Marshall and keeping the integrity of that sound w/o having to go deaf or drown out the rest of the band.

Very much a hybrid of the two.

Exactly. Great way to do this ESPECIALLY when you rely on power tube saturation to get the particular tone you like. Keeps the tone the same regardless of the output level of the amp in different venues. Otherwise, your distortion characteristics and tone changes with the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                            Pick attack feature in the Gt-8 ? Where it changes from one patch
                            to the next?

Jepp, this works accually pretty well. I got a video of that, but it will take a while to find it. If anybody is interessed I have a look for it.
                            "Don't mess with the Pudel of Death!"

Comment

I use a GT8 for effects with my VHT 50/CL, works great. I may be goofing around with my rig again though, just picked up a TC G-major again. It never ends...

Toejam, the GT8 will let you change between the two 'channels' that each patch holds with changes in pick dynamics. It's pretty interesting, but since I don't really need that feature much I haven't delved real deep into it.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                                That's assuming a person wants to replicate a tube amp. For certain types of music, some SS characteristics can be beneficial. Most *good* SS amps sound consistent at any volume, or at least the ones I've used do. I have played venues where the sound guy was telling me to turn down my 50W tube amp when it was only at 2, so it ended up losing any tube tone it had. With my current SS head, it would have at least sounded like a real amp and not an AM radio. And for the really tight, compressed distortion so many death metal guitarists use, SS can really do the job.
                                Very true. But In a small room, I THINK I can hear the difference, and being a bluesy guy, I like the unmistakable "cry" of tubes. If necessary, why not use a one of the newer tiny tube amps. The 1-8watt models.

Comment

Working...
                                X