Tube Verses Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PittJitsu View Post
    Very true. But In a small room, I THINK I can hear the difference, and being a bluesy guy, I like the unmistakable "cry" of tubes. If necessary, why not use a one of the newer tiny tube amps. The 1-8watt models.
    Ever crank a low wattage tube amp? It's still loud as hell. Not giggable levels, but loud enough to piss off neighbors. My wife heard me in our driveway playing guitar one afternoon with the house doors and windows closed. I was playing through a 1/2 watt amp.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
      Toejam, the GT8 will let you change between the two 'channels' that each patch holds with changes in pick dynamics. It's pretty interesting, but since I don't really need that feature much I haven't delved real deep into it.
      I know. Someone must have fucked up while quoting my post and added that in there. Weird.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by PittJitsu View Post
        I Never understand this. To me, Its a tube amp, tube everything.. Warmth, tone and Feeling cannot be replicated with SS.
        I love tube amps as well, and I've got a THD Univalve, as well as a Crate Blue Voodoo 60, but lately I find myself using solid state stuff like my GT-8 or Tech 21 Trademark 300 head.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've owned only 3 poweramps:
          1. ADA Mosfet 100 - Good for home. Soild State was too thin and not loud enough in a live rock band. Very light in the rack.
          2. Peavey Classic 50/50 - With el84 tubes, it was a huge improvement for live playing. Got muddy when turned up. Noticeable weight gain in the rack.
          3. VHT 2902 - Brutal power of KT88's. I win all local volume wars..lol Miles of overhead, keeps defintion, weighs a TON.

I've always wanted to try a 6L6 poweramp like a Mesa 50/50 or Carvin TS100. I like the 6L6 sound in my combo at home.

Comment

I have noticed that some of my tube amps seem VERY loud for what they are. I have bought a fender champ thats rated at 8W I think, and its the size of a shoebox, and its very loud. I own a bumbox thats 1w and it pushes my Marshall 4x12. I guess there is a place for SS now that I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
              3. VHT 2902 - Brutal power of KT88's. I win all local volume wars
              Yes. I LMAO.

Comment

Working...
              X