Got a problem with my Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a problem with my Amp

In the last week or so my amp has developed yet another problem. While playing the reverb effect "fades-in" and sounds like its on 10 accompanied by some static, then the reverb fades back to where I have it set or sometimes fades out all together.

I was thinking it might be the tubes, but they're not that old and I dont play the amp for more than a few hours a week, any ideas?

This is the second "modern" marshall I've had problems with; the last was a Valvestate. This amp is a JCM2000 DSL 401 combo.

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Even brand new tubes can crap out at any time really, so they are never above suspicion. Not sure if they use a tube driver for reverb anymore, but I'd check for it. I'm thinking it would be like a 12at7 (ECC86?).

Newer (900 and up) Marshalls are terribly notorious for cold solder joints. That is assuredly a possibility as well.

Comment

Yep, I had a brand new set of tubes and the one on the reverb was acting up. Caused a really loud hum to build up after a few seconds. I didn't think it could be my new tubes, but sure enough. swapped a new one in and it's golden, tech verified.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
      X