GC Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC Adventure

Went to GC to check out the Green Tag sale today to look at the Mode Fours that they were blowing out. Ended up leaving with a Carvin MTS combo and a Marshall 1960av cab for less than the Mode Four! I really like the Carvin but when you hook it up to the Marshall with the V30's it comes alive. I tried it with the 1960a too which also sounded good, but the V30's had a better sound to my ear.

This is my first all tube amp and I'm very happy so far. It sounds great turned up(2 on the 50 watt setting will handle a small club) but loses something when turned down. Will an OD pedal help it get more chug at lower volumes? If I can't get it to sound as good at bedroom levels, I always have the Vetta!

congrats on the new amp
    I've only tried the MTS combo, but it sounded pretty cool to me!

Comment

meedley meedley meedley juga juga juga!

Comment

Congrats man. I love new gear day!!!

Wait - you went to a GC sale and things were actually cheaper than a normal non-sale day.

Comment

what'd you end up paying if you don't mind me asking.
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I paid $375 for the MTS combo and $725 for the 1960av.

Comment

Nice deal on the MTS.

Comment

Thanks! Does anyone have any experience with these amps and an OD pedal?
                Last edited by HeWhoIs; 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Marshall 1960AV/BV cabs rule....good choice

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs View Post
                    Thanks! Does anyone have any experience with these amps and an OD pedal?

You don't need an OD pedal with the MTS unless you need to change the tone of the distortion. The MTS has a ton of gain and is suitable for any style of music from country to metal. Sounds similar to a Marshall 2210. It also uses clipping diodes between the preamp stages just like the 2210.

Comment

Sometimes i miss that old MTS head I had...the clean was great...I still love my Rectifier just a bit better though

Comment

Thanks guys! Hey JG would an OD pedal be able to add low end/ thicken the sound at lower volumes?

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs View Post
                          Thanks guys! Hey JG would an OD pedal be able to add low end/ thicken the sound at lower volumes?
                          One of these will do the trick. http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

Comment

I would love to try one of the hot plates, but they cost almost as much as the amp did.

Comment

yes, other than the 5150 (which I know for sure since I own it) and the soldano SLO heads (which I am not 100% sure), most all-tube amps need to be cranked up to get their best tones. There are two sections to a tube amp; a preamp and power amp right? You can overdrive a preamp section with an OD pedal but if the amp is deriving its gain from the power section too then you need to crank it.

or you can use a hotplate. I have a weber attenuator but I use it only in bypass to act as a dummy load to the peavey. My peavey sounds awesome even at low volumes. Kirk hammett's gear shown on guitar world had a weber attenuator. If he;s using it, then it should be good. You can get weber attenuators on eBay for $100 or so.

cheers!
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X