Laney GH100L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney GH100L

Anybody have one? A lot of folks on the other forums that have posted clips have boosted them with overdrive pedals. I'd rather not have to do that.

thoughts on the amp gainwise?

also, i really want to check out the Orange Rockerverbs. Any thoughts on those?

thanks!

I like the Rockerverb 100 over the Laney but, there is Quite a price difference. The Orange is a darker voiced amp. The Laney is more middy and trebly. Both are good, just the Orange is better for my tastes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

People boost EVERYTHING. . . tons of people even boost fuckin 5150's.

It has a ton of gain and you will certainly get by without a boost.

Listen to Racer X's Superheros album. . .according to Paul, that album was all GH100L with nothing but a THD hotplate.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx View Post
        People boost EVERYTHING. . . tons of people even boost fuckin 5150's.

It has a ton of gain and you will certainly get by without a boost.

Listen to Racer X's Superheros album. . .according to Paul, that album was all GH100L with nothing but a THD hotplate.

i love pg and love Superheroes!!

i need to check one out

Comment

I have a GH100L.
          It's a great amp, but mine was slightly modded to smooth out the gain and runs on EL34s.
          You do not need a booster with it, it has about the same amount of gain as a 5150.
          It was my main amp for three years, until I decided to retire it. I only use it in the studio (and the occasional rehearsal to keep it in shape)
          Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
          http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

I have the GH50L amp. I hate it. It would be good for a rockier vibe but as an all out metal amp I'm not loving it. I've tried a few things with it. Boosted it with an SD-1 and a guvnor pedal, not together though! They help but its still not fantastic. Also I can't turn it up too loud which may be part of my problem. This thing blows a jcm800 50W out of the water in terms of loudness at practice if I venture to turn it up. And I can't afford a hotplate.
            Its probably a good amp for some folks but when I get the power amp section up enough the gain seems to really lack what I want.

Comment

The drive from the unmodded amp wasn't really to my liking either, hence the mods.
              But too loud? I turn the 100 watter up to 3 at rehearsal and that's pretty near the sweet spot.
              At bedroom volume the amp suck, but I wouldn't expect anything else.
              It depends what you consider "metal" tone, I guess.
              The amp should work fine for everything up to thrashmetal.
              Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
              http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

well, you can get by with amp gain only, with both gain controls way up it has about the same amount of sheer gain as a 5150 lead channel around 6,5 if i recall correctly.
                however, by doing that, you sacrifice your clean channel, because the rhythm gain has to be set very high. you can avoid that by using lower rhythm gain but a boost on the drive channel

Comment

Working...
                X